1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'04-'06 1200 Sportster heads

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by zuki1100, Feb 23, 2008.

1. zuki1100

zuki1100 New Member

I have a 2005 1200R sportster and I hve Rejetted the Carb, V-Twin Pipes, Hypercharger,and N3 andrews cams,Why can't I put larger cams in this engine? all the ads say I have to do Head work...what kind of work do I need to do? surely it is not just spring & retainers Because you would think the manufactures would put that in the ad :rolleyes:
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Should Be Able To Put A Bigger Cam In Without The Head Work, The Only Reason I Would Think You Need Head Work Is If You Put In Bigger Pistons. Cam Should Drop Right In And The Adjustment Sould Be In The Pushrods. From Experence They Tell You Things In The Adds And Half The Time They Are Wrong On What You Have To Use Or Do. For Example I Bought A New Bat Box For My Rigid Frame, Because They Said To, The Old One Works Better, Said I Needed A Aftermarket Rear Brake, Old One Fit On Just Fine. If Your Looking For The Power, J&p Sells A Hop-up Kit All The Way Up To 100ci For That Motor.
  3. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Depends on the cam. Some applications require stiffer springs, cause the stock springs may not be able the handle the longer duration of the new cam. Of that depends on the type of cam you get. Best of Luck!!!:)
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would contact the folks in the ad and ask what type of head work they are requiring......then decide if they are correct or not......:)
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

it just might be that they meen bigger springs & retainers , but like chuck said contact them & ask & go from there answer
    also if your looking at a rad cam you might need to go to a bigger valve & some port & polish work just my 2 cts