1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'05 1200c Sporty - Sputtering

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Duffman, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Duffman

Duffman New Member

I just purchased a 2005 1200 custom. It has stock pipes (minus baffles), a SE ignition, SE air filter and Dynojet 180/45 jets. When I ride (usually in warmer weather) and I come to a stop, the bike will spit & sputter and have a hard time going. It backfires and wants to stall. If I pull the choke out & give it gas it seems to straighten out faster than if I just flutter the throttle. Any ideas??
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

If it only does it when you are at idle ,I would say something is messed up in the idle circut,but I wouldn't rule out the electronic ignition,does it have a carb or EFI,someone is bound to help you here.I'm better with the old sportty.
  3. whacker

whacker Active Member

still on my first cup of coffee,I see you have a carb..
  4. Peyts

Peyts New Member

If pulling the choke out and giving it some gas seems to help, I would figure that the problem is with the carb. You may want to consider rejetting, especially considering that the baffles are removed from your pipes. Rejetting may also be necessary depending on the altitude that you live in... if there has been an altitude change from where you purchased the bike to where you live, then that is likely the culprit. The other consideration is to just adjust the idle and speed screws on the carb, so that it will idle better when at a stop. Hope this helps...
  5. dutch

dutch New Member

Sputtering

The rubber mount Sports have had some problems with the crank position sensor. It starts out like a carb problem and then gets worse as the sensor fails, the part is around fifty dollars and takes about fifteen minutes to replace. I think looking into this will save you some time and trouble. Dutch