1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'08 Harley new throttle control

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by steveb, Apr 13, 2008.

1. steveb

steveb Active Member

I am picking up my new Ultra Tues. In a discussion with some other bikers they were discussing problems with the new throttle control. Have any of you heard of any problems to beware of with this new product from Harley ?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I havent heard of any trouble with the elec control throttle , ,But I don't know anyone with a 08 yet
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There is a thread going on HTT about some club president that supposedly had a TBW issue with the throttle running away or holding high idle, he reportedly had it "fixed" by the dealer, then on a ride the Throttle went WFO in a curve, he and his wife lost control. He was killed and her injured.

Now I've not seen any confirmed reports of what happened and only he will really know what happened, so for now its a club/bike rumor maybe tied to the fact that he crashed at speed in a curve and had the throttle fixed the same day.

I have heard of the TBW holding a high idle if it's shutoff in a certain way and there is a way to reset the idle.

On the other hand I rented an 08 ultra on Fri night and took it back Sun afternoon with over 400 miles on it and not one problem with the TBW
  4. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Been working on the TBW bikes since last July and have never had a problem with the control circuit for the Fuel Injection to date. There have been a few problems with the idle adjustment screw that is installed at the Delphi factory backing out, but no problems with throttle runaway. If someone did lose their life due to a malfunction such as what HRK heard about, I'm sure the dealers would have gotten a tech flash to be on the lookout for the problem that was found and corrected before the accident. HD is pretty responsive when there is a problem that could cause injury or loss of life.
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

Thanks for the input VYBR8ER . That puts my mind at ease on that issue. I will be picking up the new bike this afternoon.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

congrats on the bike and we need pics!!!!!:)
  7. steveb

steveb Active Member

I picked up the new this afternoon. Man what a sweet ride. It is 100% better than my superglide. Today we had winds gusting up to 35-40 mph. and it handled the wind far better than my Dyna.

Attached Files:

8. chucktx

nice bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    would you call the color red??????????????:D :)
  9. steveb

steveb Active Member

That would be Candy Red sunglo. My wife loved the color and she made me get that one. I was looking at an Electra Glide Classic but it didn't come in that color so I had to get the Ultra.As long as my wife is happy I know I will be happy.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i like that color as well keep us all informed on how you like all the new stuff on the 08 model
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

very nice like the red,

now get out and do some miles!
  12. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Congrat's on the new bike, enjoy and ride safe.:biker:
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

So far everything on the new bike is operating perfectly. I love the ride and handling. It corners and handles better than my Super Glide did. The TBW is working flawless. I ordered it with the anti-lock brakes after I tested one in Sturgis last year. You don't notice it in normal stopping but if you have to stop quick it will do that without locking up the front or rear tire. Without locking up the wheels it stops in a straight line very very quick.
  14. viking

viking New Member

I have an 08 streetglide .Just hit 500 km. I love this bike, what a sweet ride .other than the wind from the small windsheild which like everyone else I will change.But all of a sudden I noticed the idle would not drop from 2000rpm after warm up.When you come to a stop sign you had
    to turn the throtle backwards to drop the idle to 1000rpm where it sounds normal.I played around doing this for a while then noticed a wire and plug behind the air cleaner I just pressed on it to make sure it was plugged in all the way and everything returned to normal ( 1000rpm)Just wondered if this happened to anyone else???
  15. chucktx

glad you found your problem without having to spend time at the stealer.....havent heard of this, but all connectors are prone to becoming disconnected.................:)
  16. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I have an 08 Streetglide and have no problems what so ever with mine..throttle seems to work perfectly I have 453 miles on it so far.I had the cruise control put on it from factory no problems there either......I love my new ride!!!! Its better than any I have owned yet!!I did add the larger windshield to an 8" with black flames!

Attached Files:

17. steveb

steveb Active Member

I put over 300 miles this weekend so I am have just about 500 mile onthe '08 Ultra with no problems with anything.
  18. viking

viking New Member

08 flhx idel problem

I thought I had my idel problem solved but geuss what? it's back.Went for a ride with the old lady today and the bike was turning at 2000rpm again and would not go down I said that is it I am taking this thing home then like it started it went back to normal and I rode the rest of the day with no problems.Dealer says bring it in but unless it is doing it when I bring it in I do not think they will find anything.I changed my windshield today,what a difference.I still have to put an elastic on my beard to keep it out of my eyes though.All in all I love this streetglide.I will let you know what the dealer finds when I get there.I still have another 700 km to do before my 1st check up.
  19. chucktx

glad your enjoying the ride!!!!!!! i am suprised that the ecm would not hold a code for the idleproblem........let us know and have fun!!!!!!:)
  20. steveb

steveb Active Member

I am somewhat pleased and yet confused . I put on a set of Rhinehart slip on mufflers and a Arlan ness big sucker aircleaner at 500 miles . I did not add a Power Commander or get a download from harley and bike bike runs perfectly. Is that a good thing or is there something else going on. I do not have any popping or backfiring on decel. so I am thinking of just leaving it alone. I have not pulled a sparkplug to look at that yet. I sure do love the deep bass sound from the Rhineharts.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008