1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

110 engine swap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hdrider01, Oct 22, 2015.

1. hdrider01

hdrider01 Member

I have a '09 Ultra Classic 96 c.i. with about 19,000 miles on it. There is really nothing wrong with it,but I think I would like a little more umph to it. I haven't check around much for upgrades and wonder about a 110 swap or maybe the 106 S&S kit. I'm not sure if I should go with cams also. I guess you can tell I haven't put a lot of miles on it since it had about 7,100 miles when I bought it Sept. 09. This is something just to think about after the first of the year. Thanks for all replies.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I guess this depends on what kind of power you are looking for? In my opinion, there are better options for you than a 110, especially if you are thinking about just buying a 110 from Harley. A 107 set up correctly can and will provide you with a lot of power. Just do it right. What is your budget? Any idea of what cam you want?
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Contact steve at GMR performance in Texas he has kits for all sizes

I would not buy a 110 if you are doing that might as well buy the 120r

Take it up to the 107 kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. JohnnyBiker

There are way better places to go than GMR. Do your research, make an educated decision.
  5. hdrider01

hdrider01 Member

I will give GMR a shout-out some time soon. Back powder season starts Oct.24 and deer season ends Jan.15 so I will have time to think things over while in the tree stand or blind. I'm not going overboard on this, just power and cubes. I'm only 63 and know some one always wants to blow your helmet off. I don't need that kind of aggervation! Thanks a lot for your input. Huntin' and Harleys-Life's Pleasures.
  6. hotroadking

They have a nice 107 kit it will give you more power and the cams have more overlap which will cool the engine down significantly

7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

8. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

defanatly go 107" over a 110.we do 107" kits tailored exactly to your riding style starting at 1395.00 (headwork,BB kit & cams)
    www.veetwinperformance.com
    HarleysLR likes this.
  9. JohnnyBiker

GMR isn't the only place in business that offer cams with a lot of overlap.
  10. hotroadking

http://www.suburbanharley.com/Wisconsin-Harley-Davidson-Service-Performance-Center--cylinder_kits

It wasn't about promoting one cam company, it was explaining that overlap is key in cam design for power and cooling off the engine.

Yep you can buy woods, T-Man, GMR, Andrews, any number of cams,

My point was the stock cams don't have much if any and that's a big cause of heat retention and thus hot fins equal burning thighs...

And you have a person wanting a nice combo, and those companies plus a few more SNS to name one, offer up matched component sets that for most folks would be more than enough.

Kirby at VeeTwin, a board member can help you out as well, being an experienced builder he can help you put together a package and do the machine work as well.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Such a studious response
  12. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Well I can say for sure is that I had installed in my engine a pair of Andrews 376 cams and I love it.Snap that into 2nd gear it just excells nicely.Thinking about getting heads done still not sure and a nice 2 into 1 pipe.
  13. JohnnyBiker

If you are going to get headwork done, then I would go with a bigger set of sticks too. Jmo
  14. hotroadking

Supertrapp 2-1

15. JohnnyBiker

Drago's Dragula
  16. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Thanks will keep that in mind.
  17. hotroadking

Super trap is tune able so you can make more to or hp and eliminate the dip that comes with most 2-1 pipes, you can run it capped and quieter for longer rides or uncapped and loud.
  18. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

If you want a 110, I have one for sale, its a 2011 with 70k on it, great running motor.oil was changed @3,000 all its life. With a s.e.r.t tuner it put out 98hp,117 tq. Its Complete, gas and batt. it will run. I would ring it but that's about it. 1,800 and its yours. I just put the SE 120ST motor, not the R the 266 cams are not what I wanted, 259E work just fine. Low end tq. Is awesome 135ft.lbs. HP is 123. So far so good, IAM still in break in mode.
  19. djl

djl Active Member

Late to the thread; have been inactive here for a couple of years. Hope not too late to throw another idea at the OP.

No need to swap motors to get 110". Rebuild your top end with the Moco's new drop in 4" bore cylinder/piston kit. I have been seeing some 125+TQ/115+HP numbers from upgrades with this kit. Even some very respectable numbers with the new SE585 cams; strong TQ, a tad light on HP but still very respectable numbers. The Andrews 57 and TMans 577/590 seem to pay well this package as well. So, if considering the S&S106; take a look at the HD 110" hardware as well.

Many scoff at the HD performance upgrades and for good reason but this upgrade is one worth looking at. To be able to go from 96" to 110" without case boring is pretty cool.
  20. JohnnyBiker

Hi Don, it has been a long time.

With this kit that you are talking about, what are you hearing as far as reliability? That's a pretty big piston to be pushing with a shorter stroke. Anyways, nice seeing you again.