1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

16 apes

Discussion in 'Projects' started by duke76, Aug 23, 2008.

1. duke76

duke76 New Member

Well, this isnt really a big project but it took alot longer and a lot more beer than I thought it would. The bars are 16 inch burly gorilla bars, I used +6 throttle, clutch and brake lines and none of them are any to long, I used Barnett stainless cables for the throttle and the clutch and Russell brake lines. Here is a picture, Todd

[​IMG]
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i like the look.....how do they feel? are they comfy on a long trip? how long to install??? thanks for the pic,,,,,,,,:)
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

sweet! new bars always make it feel like a hole new bike.
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

Yah, I agree, apes really makea a bike look sweet, They feel fine, I cant answer you how they feel on a long trip because I just got them on yesterday but I had 2 other buddys that put them on this summer and when we went to sturgis they said they never had any problems with a sore back or shoulders or neck, On my mini apes that I had before my hands always fell asleep, seemed like my arms were locked forward elbow straight know they have a bend in them. Believe me I thought long and hard about putting these bars on and did lots of research, I would have never thought these bars would be comfy but after riding my buddy bikes I kinda changed my tune, hopefully in the next couple of days I can get some miles on it and tell ya more.

They took me about 12 hours to install I would guess, I ran the wires in the bars, Im glad they were 1 1/4 bars because if they were smaller it would have really been a pita, 1 1/4 was bad enough, I soldered and heat shrank all the connections, I have a mity vac so bleeding the brakes was not a problem but I think if I didnt have on it would have taken a lot longer and made more of a mess (which would not be good at all know being I have dot 4 in there and it is hard on paint). The project which included Bars, 2 stainless throttle cables, 1 stainless clutch cable, 1, 3 piece stainlesss brake line, a polyurethane riser bushing kit, and a 1 piece handlebar clamp and a bottle of dot 4 brake fluid(the moco switched from dot 5 to dot 4 in 2005), The solder and wires I had and the whole thing ended up costing me $417 and that is including shipping. Todd
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

they look great, nice work. not bad on the money either. thinking about doing the same myself. i have 12s on mine. was going to go with 14s. now you got me thinkin on 16s:devil:
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Just got back from two days at the All Harley Drags. More on that with some pics later. On the way home I'm driving the Dodge with camper pulling the bike trailer. Anyway this bad local 1% biker with the Gypsy Jokers passed me up and gave me the middle finger wave as he went around me. I first thought was F%$K off A-hole but then I started grinning :D as he was riding into a full heavy rain storm with a tank top, leather vest and full Apes. Arm pits into the rain.

So duke how do the Apes handle in a Sharp corner, can you still take a corner hard? They do look nice on your road King.
  7. duke76

duke76 New Member

They seem pretty normal in a corner, Maybe I pull on these handlebars insteadof pushing like my old ones.I can see alotbetter out of my mirrors and dont have to look at my shoulders, my sleeves blow up alot more and I catch alot more bugs on my forearm but my hands did not fall asleep once, seems like it handles better moving it around the shop and also at slow speeds I suppose because of the extra leverage so far so good. Todd
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

They look good on the King , I've never cared for apes , rode a pan about 40 years ago Did'nt care for the ride Might have been the hard tail frame & tall apes as I'am only about 5'9/5;10 :D