1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1981 xs1100 won't start.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wags45, Jun 30, 2012.

1. wags45

wags45 New Member

My bike ran good when i parked it. But now it seems that there is no spark but when i turn the key off it fires or when i let up on the starter button it will send a spark. ( not every time but most of the time). Any body have any ideas what to look at? Good fuel, new plugs clean air filter ect. All the basic stuff done. HELP. Thanks

Wags

P,S, when i shut the key off bang through the exhaust.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Have you check the ECM or coil , double check all grounds from battery to frame
  3. wags45

wags45 New Member

Will do. I think its the coils but hate to just start swapping out parts. Thanks
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

See if one of the shops around you can test the coil
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did you check out the ignition switch itself?? Try a jumper or toggle switch in its place...
  6. wags45

wags45 New Member

will try. Coils are good and has good ground. every time i hit the kill switch to off it fires like it is suppose too. That is the only time or when i shut off the key. Not sure what wires are the right ignition wires will keep looking. thanks

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Seems like it's in the start/kill switches on the handlebars....how old is the battery??
  8. wags45

wags45 New Member

Battery is new and fully charged. Now tonight when i turned the ignition on the neutral light and oil pressure light did not light. tail light came on and the bike rolled over but again no spark until in shut the key off then it sparked once. i think its time for a new switch. might bite the bullet and take it to the pro's.

9. wags45

wags45 New Member

Took it in to the local bike shop today. They seem to think it is the pulse coil. we will find out and report.