1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1983 FXE rebuild.

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Tommyc, May 28, 2012.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I started this weekend. Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

How do I get the old neck bearing cups out and replace them? Do I need a special tool?
  3. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

was looking at that and wondering, since the caps were painted. i believe i used the wheel bearing puller/installer. try georges...Chassis Tools
    a little cheaper for just the cup installer, if not, you need the tool, spacer and handle.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

remove them with a punch/drift and hammer.........install with a length of all thread, 1/2 or bigger. tighten the nuts together, use a washer to fill the cup........piece of cake.......
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks.
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Nice pics. Did you powder coat the frame? Looks great with the motor and tranny setting in there! Yup, a long drift pin and a baby sledge will get 'em out. I used a piece of 5/8" steel rod about 9" long, if memory serves. Way back when I started my build, I got a brand new Paughco rigid frame and the guy who put my roller together put in USED and ABUSED bearing cups. Unbelievable!

Eventually, I had to change nearly everything on the roller. But I didn't know much back then . . . learned all my lessons the hard way.
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Me too, the hard way. How much did you pay for your roller? Sounds like you have some shady people in your neck of the woods. Just about everything you bought was f-up!
    Luckily I have a very good mechanic around here who has taught me a lot.
    Yes powder coated, $175.00, they painted everything tho. I had to tap out all the threads and I might replace the bearing cups.
    Maybe I can just leave them painted and run it that way?
  8. joshbob

Sure you could - just clean the races with acetone or something if they got paint on the inside of them. Roller was $2200. Had to replace about $800 worth of stuff. But the learning experience was priceless!:roflmao:

You might consider using a razor blade to cut away paint on the frame where the engine mounts to it, front and rear. Motor needs to be electrically grounded to the frame. Since you got the motor on the frame, just outline with a pencil or the razor blade the areas that need to be removed, then take the motor out and trim way the paint. Same with the tranny. You don't want paint between the mounting surfaces when you bolt them down.
  9. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I already removed the paint from the mounts, thanks!
    Drilled holes in the frame to run wires thru also. She is gonna look great!
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Be sure to count all your rags before starting the project and
    account for all tools, rags and fingers before starting LOL

ACtually a point I was gonna make is a few friends have me help work on bikes, just did a 106 on an 07 Ultra, I kinda get crabby looking for tools and keep telling them to put them back after each use, get the "why I will need it in a few minutes" look.

Points to consider"

1) Time is money, if you are taking a lot of time to remember and find that 1/4 drive 1/2 inch socket all the time, you are killing your production time, to a real tech that's money. (I am not a real tech but I play one on weekends)

2) Aggravation leads to mistakes, when you can't find that open end 9/16 that you HAVE to have in order to do a job and you look for 15 minutes turning everything over, you can loose other tools and parts and time, and patience.

3) Lost stuff - ever wonder WTF something is only to think what if I left it in the engine. I know we have a rag thread going on, I'll add that a buddy and I were doing his 113, I had the front, him the rear rocker box. Both said done, I trusted him as we've done this a zillion times on his bike the Valdez. Note he doesn't put tools back, no cart half the time I have to ask him to check his pocket and presto chango there's the wrench.

Well he left an allen bit inside the rocker, and tightened down the cover (I have no Idea how), it was late, hence I didn't check his work which I am prone to do.

Next day he says it's dumping oil, I looked and found it,the front tip of the rear rocker box was open by 1/16 of an inch and when I took it off, sitting inside the front inner lower rocker box bolt is the allen bit he used to tighten the bolt before putting on the cover.

So if you put things back where they belong, when you are done with them, you will be faster on the project even though you have to step back to the tool box each time, and you won't find out something might be inside..
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I put my tools back at the end of each day. Isn't going back and forth to your toolbox all day long wasting time? Time is money right?
    WHERE'S MY DRILL BITS DAMMIT!
  12. hotroadking

Well yes and no, if you have a place like a big lift where you can put tools or a tool cart where the ones you use are going right back then it helps.

I don't mean you tighten a 1/2 bolt, put it back, walk back, then go back and get same tool for the bolt right next to it of 6 total 1/2 inch.

I mean when you are done with the 1/2 socket, you put it back in the box in its place vs putting it down on the table, bike, lift, pocket so when you need it in an hour you know where it is.

Doug would use a 1/2 socket, take off the exhaust, and we don't need it for another hour, so it goes in his pocket, then an hour later we're looking for twenty minutes until he goes into his pocket and finds the dam thing, so we wasted 20 minutes looking for a wrench...

As long as you have a pattern you follow it helps, you can get a cheap azz tool cart at Harbor freight or a better one at costco/sams for about $50 and it helps.
  13. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

What kinda idiot keeps tools in their pocket? And then forgets about them and leaves some tools inside the engine?
    I WOULD JUST FIRE DOUG! PROBLEM SOLVED.
    You can't fix stupid. :roflmao:
  14. hotroadking

I would but it's his bike LOL

In his defense he lost an eye at a young age
    due to being shot with a red ryder bb gun, no **** I kid you not
    his brother shot his eye out...

So I gotta give him some slack..

Heck I've worked to get a bike done until 2 or 3 am for a ride the next day
    and you start getting a bit foggy and wondering where stuff is, did you do something
    all those things...
  15. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I understand. Been there, done that.;)
    A wise man once said: "Don't ride next to one eyed Harley guy with BB gun and allen tip inside rocker box!"
  16. joshbob

I usually put all the tools I'm using on a shop rag on the floor near the area I'm working on. Remember, I'm low tech. Just have to watch where I walk so I don't kick anything across the floor. I get down on my knees or lie on my side to work. I don't have a lift, so I use my home made chocks to hold the bike upright and go to work. Never have left a tool inside the motor or anything like that, though!:eek:

This evening I expect I'll be out in my shop til way past midnight changing the engine oil. There's only about 400 miles on the oil so I'm not changing the oil filter this time. Then I'm changing the tranny gear oil, but first I'm installing new o-ring(s) on the kicker shaft and putting a new cover gasket on. Got suds 'n' sounds to keep me company . . . :D
  17. hotroadking

Boy that shovel
    Oil drains slow lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Check on the shovelhead site for the proper amount of tranny oil to use. I doesn't need much. just enough to touch the bottom of the gears. If the oil is up to the shaft level it will leak out. Let me know if you find out any new info. Use a torque wrench on the cover bolts 'cause they will strip easily. Thanks and have fun!
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

set the bike on the jiffy stand. add transmission fluid until you see it in the hole......below gears. then set it up straight, it should be lower than the bottom of the hole......
  20. joshbob

Don't want to hi-jack the thread, so I have all the stuff I did to mine so far in "the gremlin tranny leak strikes again". Thanks, guys.