1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1986 Sportster Carb Swap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by darikfrye91, Jul 30, 2016.

1. darikfrye91

darikfrye91 Member

Hello I have a 86 Sportster 1100 that uses a Keihin carb. And it broke at the mounting point. I've noticed the CV carb is a lot cheaper and easier to find. Is it possible to switch to the CV carb? And what would I need to make it fit and work? Thanks! IMG_1319.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Bump to Sporty guys (yeah, I inherited one, but it is EFI)
    darikfrye91 likes this.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

My guess would be intake, flanges, gaskets, cv carb, backing plate for filter
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

This is a common swap and the CV carb runs much better on these bikes. First you'll need a donor CV carburetor, preferably a 1993 or newer model (improved float after 1992). You can tell the year by the last 2 digits of the part number following the dash.

Next you'll need a flange adapter to mate the slip fit spigot of the CV carb to your 2-bolt manifold flange. We stock them on our website. The cables should adapt on your year to the CV carb.

Lastly you'll need to make or find a bracket to hold the air cleaner in place.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

The bracket is a necessity. I made one for my shovelhead when I switched from the Keihin butterfly carb to the CV. It is simply a straight piece of 3/4" mild steel bolted at one end to the bottom stud of the manifold adaptor and to the motor block. You can see it in the picture below.

If you get a used CV carb, be sure to go with one of Ken's upgrades. I got the Stage 1 CVP kit and my carb has operated flawlessly for 6 years now. Another suggestion: pour a dollop of Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas tank every time you fill up - it'll help keep your carb clean and improve your milage a bit as well.
    darikfrye91 likes this.