1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1998 RK FLHRCI Oil Puking out the breathers Bad

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Marc1340, May 6, 2017.

1. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Hi all from the Azores it has been a while, Came across a problem maybe someone has come across it also over the years, so here goes it is going to be long so pull up a chair and have a beer on me!!

A friend of mine here just picked up a 98 Road King 1340 FLHRCI that has been sitting in a garage for about 10 years with 19,000 miles. All in all she looks really nice but had not been run in 10 years as the owner died and the family just let it sit till the paperwork and court was completed, (think the dragged their feet just a bit but remember the island is like being back i the 1950s so everything goes VERY slow). Anyway we dropped all the oil and replaced with a quality semi syn, pulled the plugs , put some light oil in the jugs and rotated it slowly in 5th gear and let is sit for a day, went back and put a battery in and turned her over with fresh gas which there was none when we pick her up, tank looks nice and clean it you can believe it, turned her over easy with no plugs a few jogs to displace the oil from the cylinders for about 10 minutes and she turned over with no problem no funny noises so we replaced the plugs with a fresh set and tried to turn her over and she fired right up, Cool. nope she started to blow some white out of the left exhaust and after a few minutes about 5 the front cylinder started to puke oil out of the breather and at about 1500 rpm puked out really bad enough we had to put a catch bottle with a rubber line to run her. It did not stop nor did the white smoke. The smoke did not smell like burnt oil and gas it was funky. My friend ordered a top end gasket kit and we pulled it apart, we noticed when we did the top of the piston had carbon the center while the outer edges looked a lot cleaned, shop manual states most likely rings, if it were all carbon up than heads. We pulled the jugs and looked inside and was impressed at how nice the cylinder looked, thought it would be pitted and such and it was not just some normal wear for 19,000 miles, maybe a cracked ring, we replaced the rings piston looks very good after a minor cleaning, honed the cylinder and replaced all the gaskets and tightened to specs. Fired the bike up and it did the same no better at all!! so disappointed, everything was cleaned even replaced the umbrella valves, high quality gasket set cosmetic. Looked over the heads and they were in nice shape again much better than expected. I would try to run her down to see if she clears but the oil was coming out so bad in the front breather I don't think I could go 2-3 miles that it would run out of oil my guess, even oil blowing out the muffler. Thought I may replace all the oil lines to see it maybe a return was plugged.
    Sorry to be so long, its ok if you want to get another beer lol
    Any ideas before I start pulling it all apart again?
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Weird. First, I'm not very well versed on Harley engines but pretty good on autos. We all know that usually it's build up of pressure in the crankcase that causes oil blowing out the breathers. Rings usually the cause. What about valve guides? Cylinder pressure getting into rocker boxes past the guides??? Just thinking out loud and on the keyboard.
  3. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

I also gave that a thought, just not sure why so much oil coming out of the breather. We checked all the return lines in the heads and cyl. after typing we ran air through the oil lines and did not find anything clogged. I have never see this much oil coming through a breather even more that the bottom breathers in the 80s when sitting over the winter. gotta be building pressure somewhere. :wtf:
  4. Fatboy128

Well the only source of pressure is the cylinders. Did you check the rings on both cylinders? If yes the only other source of pressure getting into the engine would be the valve guides (that I know of) Hopefully BaggerPaul or one of the other Harley mechanics will be on this soon.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

With softails you'd worry that oil leaked down from the oil tank past the check valve and filled up the cam chest. I guess it's possible that oil drained from the RK's oil tank into the engine if it was stored in a manner where the tank was above the level of the engine.

Is it possible it's way overfilled, perhaps not fully drained, I know the stuff is expensive but you could drain the oil into a clean pan, and measure what comes out to be sure it's close to 4 to 5 qts.

Could be the oil return is clogged, and oil is getting pumped to the top of the engine and has no way to return so it comes out the breather bolts. Once it's off if you take out the breather bolts does it drain oil or does it only come out under pressure.

Sounds to me like the cam chest cover needs to come off for an inspection.
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. Fatboy128

I wonder if he's got it licked??
  7. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Hi All yup got it all done and fixed, A few problems we found, 1st thing we found was a junk cam chest breather, 2nd thing we found was a shear key in the oil pump shaft. Replaced the breather with a metal one and rebuilt the oil pump. Problem solved, Yaaa Hooo!! and yes I hate circle clips very much :wtf:
  8. Fatboy128

cool! I learned something too!!!
    Marc1340 likes this.
  9. hotroadking

good job
    Marc1340 likes this.
  10. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

I also learned something too, first time pulling apart and EVOs oil pump, a bit of a pain in the a$$ but got her done!! kinda tight quarters between the case and trans. and again I hate circle clips !!!!!!
  11. hotroadking

I call them jesus clips as in
    "jesus, where the hell did that go!"
    Marc1340 likes this.