1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2002 Classic jolts or bumps Forward

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Marc1340, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Hi all, had a good friend move here with his 2002 FLH classic and when you hit the start button while in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in the bike jolts or bumps forward before it starts, once it starts the bike is fine. Any Ideas? I adjusted the clutch in the primary and at the cable. I could not find anything in the service manual in the troubleshooting. Thanks for any help !!
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

The obvious is the clutch plates are sticking together when engine is cold. The oil in the primary could be an issue. If it's not filled to the correct quantity I could see that happen. I had a wet clutch metric bike stick like that and I changed to a different oil which helped. Also, on the mechanical side, just because the adjustments are done doesn't mean there couldn't be an issue with the parts. I've heard that the disengagement ramp/ball bearing could wear causing that issue or the clutch shaft itself. Even with the correct adjustments the worn parts could cause the clutch not to be disengaged by the slightest scotch of an amount. This could cause difficulty in finding neutral while the engine is running also. Sitting at traffic lights holding in the clutch causes premature wear in those items. I would first check the oil level and that it is a good oil. After that I would look to change the ramp. Of course I'm not a Harley tech and I'd wait for some input from more experienced technical guys here on the forum. But this is where I would start.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  3. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Not sure what oil was used, I am guessing Harley but will check, the level is perfect to spec, straight up just over the clutch bottom edge.maybe changing the oil is an easy start. Thanks for the info.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I suspect there is wear in the ramp and /or shaft.
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

+1 on the oil, I picked up a used bike a while back that did the same and changing the oil fixed it immediately. I used a good 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil which helped it find neutral much easier as well.

I also had a friend with a similar problem which turned out to be the easy pull kit he installed. The ramp is not as steep on the easy-pull which creates less separation. He didn't want to give up the easier pull on his lever so changing to a lighter oil fixed this. As I recall he used a 80/20 mix; 4 parts 10-40 synthetic Motorcycle Oil mixed with approx 1 part of ATF (yes automatic trans fluid). There are a lot of guys running ATF in their primary which is also a recommendation by aftermarket clutch makers like Barnett. Some believe running ATF 100% could lead to premature wear of the chain tension shoe which is the reasoning behind using a blend. You can find dozens of discussions about this online.
  6. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

I will do an Oil change, and get be to you on the results. Thanks
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

+1 on the oil. Try a lighter synthetic. Also too much oil will cause that normal 'clunk" too grow into a lurch.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Along with all of the above,rock the bike back and forth a little before hitting the switch. I'd also start putting it in neutral before starting it too instead of in gear,it's a little easier on the starter clutch.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Put it in N then start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

agree with all of the above especially start in n for safety