1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2003 FXDL Tire/Wheel Change-over

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RDaniels34, Nov 15, 2017.

1. RDaniels34

RDaniels34 Member

Hey all,
    I'm working on a 2003 FXDL for a lady, and she wants to have a fatter tire put on the back. It has a 150/80 B16 71H stock tire/wheel on it right now. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a 180/70 B16 on the stock rim without any major modifications.... Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

biggest issue is rim width, check but I think the 180 requires a wider rim base and a wide tire may roll over popping it off the rim.

Having said that I stuck a 180 on my heritage, the biggest problem was the inner fender bolts rubbing the side of the tire, and that the stock position isn't perfectly centered, had to make up new left and right spacers to center the wheel in the fender so it had more clearance, and change the bolts to button heads for more room.