1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2004 883 Sportster....What happens when you power on the ignition?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Mar 29, 2016.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Not having even started my bike for 4-5 years after an 'incident' I finally got around to putting the carb and a bit of wiring back on today.

the Incident was that I had dropped it, and it ripped wires out of the RH bar and trashed the speedo., so it could not be run.

Any way...I got it re wired and running today...but

I thought I always remembered, that when the ignition key was first put to the 'ON ' position, that the speed needle went full scale and back to zero.

This is not happening now...was I mistaken? or is something trash with this speedo or the wiring..it is a new one, from the dealer, calibrated to the correct milage as the old trashed one.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Neil, welcome back to the forum, it has been a long time. Since your bike is an 04 and is carbed, I do not think that the speedo should bounce when you turn the key to the "on" position. Having the needle bounce usually takes place with the EFI bikes. If I am mistaken, please, somebody correct me. Anyways, nice to see you back again.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it sweeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Yes, it has been a long time. I have still been on the road, on electric mountain biles.....homemade 100 volt , 14,000W. 55mph ebikes though, not the boring approved 250W 15 mph ones !

I have found out when the sweep does occur. It happens when you power on with the trip reset pressed, when entering diagnostics.

Problem solved, and so far, No diagnostic faults showing :)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016