1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

3rd gear blues

Discussion in 'Projects' started by bambidee, Nov 28, 2015.

1. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Going to look into tranny on my Road King. When driving aggresivly , not boar shifting, just higher rpm I have missed 3rd lately. When I hit the shifter again it goe's to 4th. Tranny is quiet and shifts well on normal use. Cluth adjustment is good, easy to find neutral doe's not chunk going from neutral. Shift arm is tight, Going to pull top cover and take a peak soon. Found S/E 6 speed gearset new for 1,700 online, might be a possible end result. Any input on what to look for on repair or replace is appreciated.
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I have a Screaming Chicken 6 speed OD part # 33103-03 in my 04 Geezer Glide and have no complaints at all...At 80 mph I'm turning over about 3,000 rpm's... If you don't do much super slab driving I would not go for the 6 speed... I'm only a shade tree mechanic so I can't really help you...
  3. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bent shift fork. I had my 6th gear fork bend on my 09 SG, 'would pop out of 6th.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Don't think it's the gearset...check fork bushings/shafts,drum bearings, trap door bearings and clutch stack height....
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Since you sometimes ride "aggressively", you could have bent a shifting fork. The lid will need to be retimed.
  6. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Thanks for the input so far , will try to get top cover off soon and post more info .Also see Baker makes a ratchet pawl and the oem spring was prone to failure.
  7. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

For replace I would get a Baker, possibly a DD7. Baker has great quality and good to deal with. Have Cyber Monday deals on now, I think.
  8. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

2000 do's not offer a DD7, if I can fix what is there so be it. Would like a newer frame and bigger rear tire, love how my King runs and looks but there may come a time when all the aspects of a 04 on up will be on the table.
  9. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

But I also say a OD6 would be SWEET lol
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are running the stock 88 stick with the 5 speed
  11. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

95 inch, freeway flyer cams, 1.72 roller rockers, mild tune up on heads by Big Boyz,10.5 comp, carb kit, V/H true duals with 450 mufflers. Want to head south this coming summer for a long ride.