1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

59 rebuild

Discussion in 'Projects' started by boxcar, Feb 4, 2012.

1. boxcar

boxcar New Member

hi not so computer savy lets give it a go im currently starting to restore 59flh have engine out at rebuild shop frame at powder coating and trans at rebuild shop mechanic talking around 1600 to fix trany seem very expensive for something that worked ok but i did see some cogs on side of gears with corners rubbed off they say ill need a set of gears so they run true to each other and that foot shift gearing is different from from hand shift gearing telling me that they are pricing gears and that this going to be in the 1600 dollar range do not have parts list yet also see that nobody seems very happy with v twin part or customer service i am ready to spend alot of money but not looking forward to poor quality replacement parts any suggestions on what to do for parts and does it sound like im getting shaft on trany or does a few parts labor add up that fast
  2. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

if you dont do the work yourself...yes, very expensive.

really interested in some pics...please
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

$1600 sounds high to me. I got a rebuilt 4 speed for $1300. That included the tranny.
  4. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

any progress yet...need to see some pix, please.
  5. joshbob

Are you still out there, Boxcar? I've been wondering how you're coming along with your panhead.
  6. JakePoppa

JakePoppa New Member

I bought a freshly rebuilt 45 once for 800. It was indeed cheap (super cheap), but they are out there for much less than 1600
  7. joshbob

"Freshly Rebuilt" for $800 sounds too cheap. Beware.