1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

73 shovelhead

Discussion in 'Projects' started by eieio4tn, May 5, 2011.

1. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

hi all, glad to be here. thought i would show you my new (old) baby...
    [​IMG]
    mismatched paint and lots of bad work, but she looks good from a distance.
    i plan on tearing her all the way down this winter.
    paint frame and everything else, rebuild engine and rewire.
    oh, she runs pretty good, but a lil loud with those drag pipes. i ordered
    drag baffles this evening. looking forward to some good riding this summer.
    another pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    comments and suggestions appreciated.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

welcome to bike talk & thats a darn good looking shovel :cool:
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

an excellent project bike!!!!! what are the plans??? stock, chopped, bobbed????
  4. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

thanks...i kinda like it too
  5. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

that's what i thought. dad had it in his garage. giving him my VA check for the next 24 months for it. $5k. kinda helping him out with his retirement. it may be steep, but no interest and now we both gots one. he has an '05 heritage softtail classic now.
    i have the trunk too, but i just dont know about the full dresser deal. i will strip it all down, and start with the frame. re-build engine and tranny, new harness etc. needs some good prep work and paint on the tin and acc's. the pre-dad owners jacked a few things up, so i have some hardware issues to deal with also.
    but it does run good...it just leaks like a siv. compression is good. clutch is a little rough, but i hear that may be from sitting for a few years. needs to be rode. i ordered 8" drag baffles yesterday, that will have to do until i can find a set of true cross overs.
    in answer to your question though...i tend to babble...no bags, no faring and no windshield. is that bobbed ? dunno the terminology. but i will paint and have all the gear ready to install if i decide i need it, or grow to like it better. still looking through pics for paint schemes. the paint job on the tank is appealing to me, but someone went about 6 shades redder on everything else, and the finish is really shoddy.
    all suggestions are welcome. and thanks for having such a great site for us noobs.
    bob
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't chop it!!!!!!!

Redo it stock way cooler and rare.

Pull up to any bike night on a restoshovel and people will drool

I want a mid 70s yo redo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

leaning that way already...thanks
    will vin # reveal original paint ?
  8. chucktx

if it doesnt smoke, you should not need a rebuild....just some gaskets to seal stuff up. a stock/stripped build would looks really nice, and as said, would make folks drool...there werent many color options back then......i will check my paint codes and see if they go back that far.....
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that's the ticket. Paint it whatever correct combo you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. chucktx

yup.....:D
  11. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

thought i might start with the trunk, since it's off already. i will start on it very soon and post some before/afters. let the vets help me decide fo sho. the other reason i thought about engine rebuild is because heads are nasty looking up close...post a pic 2mro. thought about powdercoat with polished fin edges.
    i just read the carb adjusting thread, already knew it needed adjusting after the baffles, but good stuff. they are 8"x 1 3/4". will post
    also, dad was kind enough to furnish me with the harley shop manual with the bike...thanks dad.
    i hear this emblem is from a 50's hog, what say you all ??
    [​IMG]
    i guess the original '73 had AMF on it, but i don't know that as a fact.
  12. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

:worthless::worthless::worthless:

I am drooling already!!!!:rant:
  13. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

JB - ya been hangin around cardboard to long :roflmao:- go look at the full post pics are there.:D
    eieiotn- just posted some pics that may give some paint ideas - have a bunch more that I will be posting on the forum. Some are rad and some follow the old style schooling.:)
    Personally I would make it as stock as I could - not only worth more but it's something that will turn heads. You might also take a trip over the mountain to Maggie Valley,NC and tour the museum they have there - bikes from 1800's up to late 80's and a guy that possibly could help with orginal looks - he's got books and manuals from that period that you can read and get the info you need - hell he could probably quote chapter and verse off the top of his head. :D
  14. cowboy

Not sure on your elblum now but yes the 73 had small stripes front to back & AMF on the side of the tank
  15. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

thanks guys...i feel like i made the right choice comming here...:cool:
  16. chucktx

powder coating is pretty easy to do. check the "chobber" post in the projects section....i did a set on a sportster.
  17. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

dad got all upset with me today. i walked in his garage and looked at his bike, then said "aww, i told everyone you had a heritage softtail classic". his front fender clearly says "roadking". "injected", he added, as he instructed me to correct my mistake. sorry pops. my response..."hey, i can fill my saddlebags with ice and beer, can you"? we both drank a cold one and laughed it off.:cheers: obama, i mean osama bin laden wanted one too, but he was burning in hale...awww, i mean yea.
  18. cowboy

Did you tell Dad they make a cooler for the hard bags , so he don't have to take it off to dump out the water after the ice melts :D good to here both you & your dad haveing fun like this
  19. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

my hard bags have a hole in the rear lower bottom, he says for drainage. poor dude, he has fancy leather bags. i'll have to post a pic of his bike...nice pearl white.
  20. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I know they are but there aren't enough!!!:gah: