1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

82 XLH project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by retired, Dec 20, 2013.

1. retired

retired Member

I;m new to this forum but have been around bikes for about 40 yrs. I;m currently building a 82 xlh for my son. He rides mine all the time so its time he has his own. I installed 10 to 1 weisco pistons ; R5 andrew exhaust cams; and edelbrock intake cams; single fire ignition; cycle shack mufflers; and I haven;t decided on the which carb I;m gonna put on it yet. I found the bike on craiglist and its been sitting in a shed for quite awhile; so I completely stripped it. Completely rewired it; got the frame; shock springs; lower legs; and handlebars powdercoated. Will keep you updated on this project
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Go with a CV 40 carb, better performance on the street, better driveability

SNS is good, but for day to day I'd prefer the CV
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Good job, Retired. I have a CV 40 on my shovelhead and have had no issues whatever with it. It is a great running carb. I bought mine used from a forum member, then rebuilt it and installed a CV Performance kit and a CVP mixture screw and the CVP idle adjustment screw. The two screws allow you to make adjustments without a screwdriver, which is especially helpful on the mixture screw which is on the bottom of the carb. These are relatively inexpensive improvements you can make to the CV carb. Another nice feature of them is that they self adjust for changes in altitude. Once you get 'em dialed in you can forget about 'em.

And welcome to Bike Talk!