1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

883 carb tuning?

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by scaldwellk, Mar 22, 2012.

1. scaldwellk

scaldwellk New Member

I have a 2003 883. I bought one of your kits and have been working on getting this bike to tune.
    It has Bassani radial curve short pipes on it. The air box has had the back side opened up and a K&N put in for better air flow. I put in a 175 main with a 44 idle jet. I have been slowly turning the adj screw out 1/16th of a turn at a time and have made it to 2 1/4 turns out so far. My carb farts are almost gone. It seems to fart after I ride at 55mph for a mile or so then come to a stop sign and idle a short time. I also noticed that there seems to be a cut out then lunge when pulling out in 1st gear, but does not seem to do it in other gears. I do not hear it carb fart at that time. I also noticed that the bike does not like to go past 65mph on the highway now.

1) Is this normal to not have the carb farts except when riding?
    2) Could the lunge be a carb fart, but I just do not hear it over the engine?
    3) Why would the bike not like to go over 65mph now and seem to be running out of power at top end on the highway?

Thank you.
  2. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

I think the main issue that you have is the pipes. thos pipes have no baffles so there is no back preassure. A set of Pro streets wood be a better choice fer them.
  3. scaldwellk

scaldwellk New Member

I am new to this. What its the insert that is held in the pipe with a screw. Is that a baffle our something else?
  4. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

Rilly? those pipes have baffles? I thought I red somewhere that they woodn't accept them? BTW, my opinion, but ifn you get farts when at speed, try bumpin yer pilot up one size.
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Scaldwelk, Ken here from CVP. Cn you provide some additional information? What was your jetting before? As mentioned by someone else those short pipes are always a problem to tune around, though I don't think completely impossible. If your idle and off-idle are fine then I would move on to the main jet. Also verify that you don't have a vacuum leak. Any leak around the rubber manifold boot will add to any problem you are experiencing.
  6. scaldwellk

scaldwellk New Member

I bought the bike with the pipes and K&N on it. The carb looked to be stock? I think the idle jet was a 41 and not sure with the main. I will have to look Friday after work. I had to drill the plug so I could tune it. I hope to learn alot about tuning it here.
  7. scaldwellk

scaldwellk New Member

Ok, I just had to check. What I took out of the carb was a 160 main and a 42 idle jet.
    I forgot to add that it has been dieseling some when I shut it down now.
  8. scaldwellk

scaldwellk New Member

I know that this differs on whom I ask, but what octane fuel do I need to run in this 883? I was using 89 and just filled up with 92 to see if it makes a diff or not.