1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

88ci to the new 96ci

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by linda, Oct 30, 2007.

1. linda

linda New Member

Just like to know if the new 96ci. motor top half will fit the older 88ci. motor. It sonds like they just whet from a 95ci. to a96ci. thanks ? Henry
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Actually they changed the flywheels and rods to the 103 stroker kit, this makes the motor with the 95 inch barrels a 96 inch motor.

To upgrade it to 103 you simply drop on new 103 pistons and jugs.

If you want to bump yours up, all you need to do is have your cyl bored and pistons fit to it which you can get from HD, Flat top pistons, or Mahle, etc.

If you don't have someone to bore your stuff out contact Bill or Amy at Bishop's Performance - Parts & Service for Harley Davidson, Buell, and other American V-Twins

You should consider sending your heads with the cyl to bill and getting a stage 1 port work done, that with the cyl and a set of Andrews 37B or Woods tw-6 cams will make a good running motor close to 100hp/tq

He can bore out your cyl, setup the pistons and ship them back ready to install and it's not that difficult a task to do if you are mechanically inclinded.

If you can't open a paper sack with a knife then get some friends who can to do the work. Beer and food work wonders, or cigars in my case. :D
  3. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Henry,
    My understanding is the new 96" motor is a 103 crank bottom end stroke with
    88" pistons & cylinders...so to go from the 96" up to the 103" all you would have to do is replace the pistons & jugs.

Hope that helps,
    Cracker
  4. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Man I type slow...sorry for the same reply!
  5. hotroadking

Yep that's right 88 cyl and pistons 103 crank - 96 cui

if you have an 88 it's cheaper and easier to bore your cyl out and put in new flattops for 95 inch. There is a 98 kit out there from I think rev performance but $ for $ the 95 big bore done with a local shop is financially better.

If you know how to wrench, get a SM and a Parts Manual very valuable,
    Tear it down and send the cyl and heads off to Bill at www.bishopsperformace.com for a stage 1 hop up. Very reasonable and very good work.

Have him install the pistons for you in the cyl, so when you get it putting it back together is a simple bolt up process.
  6. linda

linda New Member

. an
  7. glbrown1963

glbrown1963 New Member

Call me slow

Ok I am a little slow also, but I have the same question, I have in my possession a set of cylinders off of an 04' Fat Boy TC88 that was bored to a 95 in. kit. Can I use the same cylinders on my 07 StreetGlide that is a 96 ci?
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

why would you down size??? i dont believe they would fit.
  9. hotroadking

Actually I wonder if you go from 88 cyl to 95 on the 103 crank if it would fit or not. Isnt' the 103 basically a 95 inch with the stroker flywheels?
  10. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

OK, I'll call you slow :roflmao:
    Just kiddin' you. Yes the cylinders from an 88 are identical to those on the 96" and the bore is the same. Therefore a set of cylinders bored from an 88 to make a 95 would be the equivalent to boring a set of newer 96" jugs out to make them a big bore. For the most part the main difference between the previous 88" and newer 96" top ends is the pistons. Bore is the same, its the longer stroke that gives the new 07+ engines more displacement. You can buy your self a set of BB pistons for your 07 and use the 04 BB cylinders.
  11. bcnasty

bcnasty New Member

but as was mentioned you must get 07 pistons for it to work due to piston pin centerline and skirt shape.
    BC
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Correct, but to go BB you would normally be buying new pistons anyway. I've never been a proponent of reusing pistons unless on the same build. Cylinders on the other hand lend well to boring and adapt to different builds/bikes. JMHO
  13. hotroadking

And now that's been completely cleared up!
  14. bcnasty

bcnasty New Member

I guess I am sorry for making the asumption that someone with a bb would just check the jugs by a set of rings and put it on another bike if the pistons are ok and the bore is still good.
    BC
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

OK I followed all this except for the BB part so what are bb piston's ?
  16. chucktx

big block.........
  17. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Kinda like Chuck's last avitar...:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thank's chuck that's one I never thought off for A two Cyl :banghead: But make's good sense to me, I know the 95 is just a 88 borad 60 over , what difference is there in the head's ?& who has the better piston's & ring's ?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  19. hotroadking

You'd be amazed how many reuse pistons, that is not a bad thing altogether if the pistons are in good shape, a new set of rings setup properly will be fine, I know of two such builds that are running fine.

But you'd be better off to pick up a new set of pistons, Mahle, HD, whichever you need. Nothing wrong with HD's pistons you know they are correct for the application you're building.

Heads, well best bet is to have your heads redone by a good shop that knows how to work heads, and understands the cams and compression you are using to make the heads work with the build.

BB = Big Bore

unless you're Chuck then we know that BB = DDD's :roflmao:
  20. chucktx

bb=big bore....ok
    but then if a 95 is a bigbore, what is a 124?? bgr bb?????:roflmao:
    i think those should be DDD!!:)