1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A little help please ?

Discussion in 'Other CV Performance products' started by Gatorr, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Gatorr

Gatorr New Member

Hi,

I am in the process of doing the stage one deluxe kit install and so far all is going very well. I am now ready to replace the old fuel inlet elbow with the CVP Fuel Max inlet elbow (my last step :). I don't seem to have any instructions on this portion of the install and would like to know what I am getting to before I remove the old elbow. Are there any links to instructions available ?

Also I failed purchase the larger fuel line but found a clear plastic one at a local cycle gear. Will this work fine ?

Thanks for the help
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I have instruction posted in several places but here is one of those that includes a few pictures.
    Harley Fuel Elbow Replacement

I wouldn't use clear hose unless I was sure it was both safe for fuel AND heat resistant. Since that hose routes between the cylinders on most models and tends to come in contact with hot surfaces, the exposure to heat and likelihood of the hose failing is quite high. You can use both 1/4" fuel line or 5/16" fuel line, either are available at any auto parts store.
  3. Gatorr

Gatorr New Member

That's the info I needed. Thanks for the prompt response, Ken. It looks easy enough. Hopefully it goes as smoothly as the rest of the tune has.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would not use the clear hose either............
  5. 88lowrider

88lowrider New Member

i've got a 88fxrslowrider which had not been started in 3years,finally got it started, then the spitting, sputtering, and backfire, started. shut it it off, with fear of it catching fire. had been riding my '05 ultra classic up to then. since then i have been told i need to convert to a new cv carb, or have mine updated. if so what will i need to convert, or buy a new carb...........{in dire straits} need some expert advice..[88lowrider] thanks
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Is the 88 the year or engine either way you can just get a rebuild kit via cv performance & clean it out & it will be good as new
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

88 it's best to start a thread on your bike and easier to keep up

You can find plenty of good used cv40's on eBay or CL. Then get one of kenfuzed kits

Drain tank pull petcock new fuel line and filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. 88lowrider

88lowrider New Member

hey thanks cowboy...........its a {1988} i'm just a country boy, my brothers seem to think a new or rebuilt carb would be better, what do you think? if so.......what about , intake /exhaust possible issues, and who the ',.,',' could i possibly trust? on line. i also heard about a place that you can send your old carb to and yhey will rebuild carb, with a kit then clean and reassemble, and ship back. whats your take on this.........thanks man......will listen to any advice
  9. 88lowrider

88lowrider New Member

yo hotrodking..thanks for your your thread man, that might be my first option. my 1988 fxrs has only got 13,241 actual miles nobody has rode this but me. i have a 2005 ultra classic, but i still love my 88fxrs, the open air and all that other.'.'''/, what will be paying for a new cvkit? i know its going to vary, but ballpark will work..........thanks again man 88lowrider
  10. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

1988 is one of those odd years where different carburetors were being used by the factory. The XL sportsters were introduced with the new CV carburetor, whereas the big twins kept the old butterfly carburetor until 1989/90. If your 88 FXRS is still stock then it has the butterfly carburetor. I can get you the rebuild kit for that model but this is different than the tuners kit mentioned. Tuners kits only fit the CV carburetor on 89-newer models.

If still in doubt send a picture of the carburetor and I would be glad to identify it for you.