1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Accelerator Nozzle check needle position.

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by Ed Montgomery, May 7, 2014.

1. Ed Montgomery

Ed Montgomery Member

I'm wondering if the check needle, that's between the accelerator diaphragm and the accelerator nozzle should be facing with the needle pointed down, towards the diaphragm, or up towards the accelerator nozzle.
    I think the needle should be facing down towards the diaphragm but I didn't catch it's position when I took the old nozzle off.
  2. Ed Montgomery

Ed Montgomery Member

Come on guys a little bit of help on this one for me.
    It's a CV carb that I'm putting a complete Stage 1 kit in along with the low profile accelerator nozzle.
    When I took the old (longer) nozzle out I didn't catch which way the check needle (this model had the check needle and not a check ball) was oriented. I haven,t been able to find and written information on what position it should be in. I would think that it should point (the needle end) down towards the diaphragm. I wouldn't think it should point up towards the nozzle. Anyone with any experience with this I'd greatly appreciate the advice.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Does this help

image.jpg
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I believe that version of the check valve faces down to prevent air drawing back into the accelerator pump.
  5. 96roadking

96roadking Member

Unfortunately the exploded diagram does not show it dissembled. The nozzle is the small 'spigot' coming out of the float bowl right at the bottom.

I cannot tell you. Knowing there was a small ball or something in there I kept the bowl upright to stop anything dropping out and removed the accelerator nozzle rather like taking a bad tooth out (!). Thinking about it, perhaps I should have taken time to clean in there too ...

Please let us know what you find and how the nozzle changes your performance. I've fitted mine but have not got the engine back together yet to try it out.