1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bike dies when I give throttle

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by srosebrock, Aug 2, 2011.

1. srosebrock

srosebrock New Member

I have a kawasaki kz440 that starts up great and idles smoothly, but when I give it any throttle, it dies. I have taken the carbs apart a few times and cleaned them and they seem very clean, so I don't know if that is it. Can anyone give me some troubleshooting tips?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think you cv carbs on it.....correct? anyway, check the flow of the acelerator pump...see if it is squirting a shot of fuel into the throat of the carb. with the engine off....next i would check for vacuum leaks........
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am assuming that this is an 80's model?
  4. srosebrock

srosebrock New Member

yes, it's an 82.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I work with a guy that has one of these. I will ask him for some input this morning when I get in.

Chucktx, yes, that bike is fitted with the CV carb.

I looked at some other forums and just a place to start is that to make sure the air box cap is installed properly. I will post more as I learn more
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Did you make any changes to the bike before this started? Is the fuel petcock vacuumn operated?

Here's a few things that can cause this condition:

Improper float setting in fuel bowl, or fuel inlet jet is sticking.
    Atmospheric vent tube on carb or fuel tank is pinched.
    As Chuck said, accelerator pump not working.
    Torn diaphram on carb slide or accelerator pump.
    Bad seal where carb mounts to engine.
    Hole or crack in the vacuumn line to fuel petcock.

Remove your air cleaner, start the bike and look into the carb. Does the slide move up when you throttle up? There should be a brass accelerator pump tower in the throat of the carb, when you crack the throttle it should squirt gas into the carb.

And last but not least, check the end of your mufflers, one of your friends might have stuck a potato in there when ya had your head turned away. :roflmao:

Hope this helps. let us know what you find.
  7. srosebrock

srosebrock New Member

I bought the bike not running from a guy who said it had sat for 5+ years, it only has 9000 miles on it so it is in good shape overall, I just can't get it running. I think that the vacuum slides work, but I will take out the air filter and check.

I replaced the diaphragms, how do I check if the petcock vacuum is operating?

What is the accelerator pump? Is that the slide in the carb?

I will check the float height, I neglected to check it each time I had the carbs open. I also think I will check to make sure all the jets are the correct size, which I also should have done the last time I had them open.

Checked the exhaust, no potatos :)
  8. JohnnyBiker

Another thing to check from the things that I have read is that determine which kind of main jets you have. there are two different styles, a large slot and a small slot.

Also I had heard that make sure that your cap for air box is on securely as well.
  9. AnthonyMartello

AnthonyMartello New Member

Hey there,

It would be very difficult to explain the whole process here on YA so I'm going to ask you to please find a Shop Manual to help guide you.
    But I will help in the first three major steps.
    One- empty the fuel tank (or at least, turn off the petcock) and remove.
    Two- remove the battery (- ground first).
    Three- loosen and remove the throttle cable at the handlebars, than from the sync-bar at the carbs.

All the best.. Cheers..
    Anthony Martello.
  10. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Stupid question I know but before you do all that other stuff, how much gas do you have in the tank?
    If you have plenty of good fresh gas the the carb prolly needs to be rebuilt.
    The bike was sitting for 5 yeras so the carb is prolly gunked up.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

1) clean carbs, remove bowl, check float level, recheck diaphragm installation
    2) Empty tank, fill with fresh fuel.
    3) Slides won't go up unless engine is running on a cv so just taking off the filter
    to look won't do you any good, you could press them up with your finger to
    be sure they move.
    4) when you did diaphragms did you make sure the slides back in correct position
    5) Check plugs, did you replace them, check gap, check wires.

Three things needed, fuel, spark and compression.
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Check the fuel filter! A bike sitting that long may have rust in the tank (check around the interior of the gas cap, too). The symptoms are the exact same ones as I had on my KLR-125. The gas cap was rusting and re-filling the filter (I had cleaned the tank - twice - but missed that the cap was actually the problem). Good luck!
  13. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Yep, this all makes sense........if you're stoned off your behind. :wtf:
    Why do I think this is a spammer that had his link blocked?
  14. eddie88

eddie88 New Member

After 5 years sitting.I would think complete cleanout would be the first step.Tank, lines ,carbs if it had fuel in it.If it was dry that long looking at dryed out rubber parts and cracks.