1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Blu's in the shop

Discussion in 'Projects' started by sarge7, Nov 16, 2010.

1. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Took my ride into the local shop today for a front end tear down and service- would have done it myself but didn't have the right tools and fiqured the mech could use the money ( he's gotta eat to ya know) :roflmao:anyhow I was readed about slammin the ride for the vertically challenged rider so I pulled the trigger on that and while the mech and I were lookin over the bike I talked myself into a new rear skin to match the E3 on the front.:D
    After 4 or 5 cups of coffee I finally got away from there before my outgoing expenses overcame the national debt but it's going to be worth it next spring when the ridin weather finally returns and I won't have to wait in line for everybody else who waits till the last mintue to get there bike serviced.:)
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you'll be ready when the snow melts :D, I just did the rear tire about two weeks ago hadjust under 16k on it & did the front about a month ago it had rifght at 21k on it , next I need to pull the rear rocker cover off to see why it started to leak oil :gah:
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have to keep an eye on my front tire because I am losing air. I also have to replace the front of the wife's bike. That will a fun bill. :banghead:
  4. cowboy

Johnny what brand name tire are you running ? almost every one I know who run avaon 's have to put air in them if they set about a week , I always double check my pressure before a ride , but she set about a week at a time these days but only have to add air about every two months I run the metzlers ME880 tourning
  5. JohnnyBiker

WhipLash has an HD Dunlop and the wife has a weird brand on it. Hers holds air but it is weather checked really bad.
  6. cowboy

sarge7 what type of lowering are you doing to blu ? let us know how you like it when you get her back .
    Johnny sounds like you need to get new skins on both rides , doubls check the rear tires as well don't want the lillte lady falling down cause you forgot :D
  7. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

I did the upgrades in the same way. I did it now while things were slack and the shop offered winter rates. My bikes are now completely finished and packed away in storage. I just sat down with the assistant manager and found that about 500 dollars in credits had been applied to my account in doing the work and ordering parts now.

As for things like tires, bearings any cosmetic work, it was also a great time to have my mechanic do a more thorough search and find smaller problems that would show up at the worst times next year.

I wish more folks thought this way. Shops wouldn't have to lay-off mechanics in the winter. Speaking from personal experience, it's hard to enjoy the holiday season with no money and bills piling up.

But people wait until the last minute for some reason. I've heard from numerous gunsmiths this time of year who deal with irate hunters who try to drop off a rifle a day before they leave for the hunt. I am doing nothing now but deer and camp knives. Where were these guys a few months ago when we all had the time and needed the work?
  8. JohnnyBiker

I looked at the wife's back tire and that is ok!! Trust me! :D I am going to wait for a while to do hers cause it is put away for the rest of the year. I will most likely have the tire changed when I bring it in to get the carbs reworked. As for mine, I will do that in the spring.
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

cowboy - I put a progressive spring kit in the front and a burly setup on the back. As far as I know the rear tire was stock factory and I had about 19000 on it - the front got changed last summer cause the bike was headed to Florida for a Rally. At least I know barring any road hazards I'll be ready to head for Tenn/ NC/ and Florida come spring with no worries. Olan on about 2500 miles in easy stages to get there.:D
  10. cowboy

Let us know how she handles when you get her back , as I some what checking into this type set up for these stub's I call legs :D
  11. JohnnyBiker

Cowboy, you short like me??? :roflmao::roflmao:
  12. cowboy

yep I'am one of the lucky one's in the first to know when it's flooding :roflmao:
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cowboy keeps sayin his legs are too short.........hell i looked and they both touchin the ground...............:D
  14. JohnnyBiker

:roflmao::roflmao:
  15. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

The national debt just got larger, My Mech called and asked me to come to the shop he had found a problem that was not on the menu. The rear swingarm had keyholed to the point that it is in danger of breaking - standard question from me was why? - Didn't have a clue as to why it did this but the mech thinks it's been that way for quite some time due to the amount of wear damage he found. This is a good reason that yer bike should be checked out by a pro once in awhile. Made a believer out of me. Normally I do my own work but in this case I wouldn't have ever noticed it.
    Anyway the bottom line is about an bill that will be over 400 bucks more than I planned - so I might have to cut back on some rally going next year until the bank account improves. But :wtf: ya can't take it with ya can ya?:roflmao:
  16. cowboy

:roflmao::roflmao:
  17. The Tourist

When I was still modifying Betty I used to keep the parts in the bed of my truck, especially in early spring. Many guys in the club were anxious to complete repairs, and much like you, they were finding "surprises." Lots of those parts were kind of in the multi-fit category.

Do you have a circle of friends who also ride Harleys and are planning some winter mods? I'd get the word out. Many times "the friend of a friend" has the part in his truck.

For example, three years ago I had my original Dyna swingarm and my stock wheel in my truck. I think I had them there for about one month. I had the garage door up one day when the UPS guy came, and he saw my bike. He lamented that his dad had gotten hit in the tail and they were scrounging parts.

You should have seen his face when I popped open my truck's cap...
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

one reason we have the "bike market place" section in this forum......it works if folks us it..........
  19. cowboy

I have read & heard about a lot of the 97-98 touring modles haveing this trouble , but not a 93 , shop around some other years might fit & a bit cheeper in price good luck & gald he found it now
  20. The Tourist

Another good idea.

One of the best things about Harley riders is that they welcome a chance to get others up and running.