1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb body clean out

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by 84FXRS, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

Just wanted to find out what is the best way to clean a carb body.
    Not the exterior, but passages, and vent holes .
    Just want to know of anything that can be overlooked easily,or
    to be cautious of.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I use hot water and a small amount of dish soap. Avoid Simply Green or similar cleaning agents. Make sure EVERY part is disassembled before giving the body a soak. That includes removing the mixture screw and packing (spring, washer, o-ring) and the accelerator pump diaphragm. If unclear about how to access the mixture screw here is an article.
    Harley CV Carburetor Mixture Tuning

Also don't try to clean the diaphragm on the slide with anything, it will deform.

After a long soak in hot soapy water rinse in hot clean water. I usually add a small amount of vinegar to the rinse bucket to help with a final cleaning of the carburetor. Blow all passages out with compressed air.
  3. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

Ken, that sounds simple. And is exactly what I wanted to know, how to do it with
    what I have at home. ( except the compressed air, but I can do this at my friends.)

My plan is to install a Premium kit in the carb that goes on the bike. So, my next question is I have a '90 CV on the bike, also a '93 and a '96 .
    year reference is the last two digits of part#.... 90 is the old float, '96 is the cleanest.
    Is there anything else to inspect, or consider before I choose which carb will be used.
    Looking at the '90 ( carb currently being used) The mixture screw seems to be in all
    the way, supposed to have a Dynojet kit in it. The jets are 190 and 45
    Oh, and this is on a "84 EVO,FXR. my friend is doing a top end now at his shop.
    Would start adjustments from where they are now, or would you rather make a suggestion. It's equipped with K&N and 2 1/4" turndown pipes, unbaffeled.
    Thanks again for the help