1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Caughing

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by Razor, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Razor

Razor Member

I followed the chart with the directions to the CV stage 1 kit. I have a 97 FLSTC with an Evo engine screaming eagle air cleaner and rush 2.0 mufflers. The chart specified 46 pilot and 185 main and I installed them. I could not tune in the fuel mixture. The bike seemed to cough more as I turned the mixture screw out. When I turned the screw in completely the engine did not stumble. I changed to the other pilot jet which is a 45. I figured the 46 jet was too rich. It runs much better, though I can't get the bike to stop caughing occasionally out of the carb when letting off the throttle. It seems to be worse when it's cold out-symptoms of running lean. It also pops out of the exhaust. I replaced the seals and clamps on my pipes and exhaust. The only thing I can think to do is richen by using washers on the needle jet. Any good advice would be appreciated.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would say check for air leaks maybe on the intake area.
  3. Razor

Razor Member

So your mean where the carb connects to the manifold?
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes and where the manifold connects to the heads......
  5. Razor

Razor Member

Thanks for the advice. I doused both intake area with WD-40. I could not detect a leak. I replaced the slow jet with a 48 and it's running fine. It was just running lean. It seems that, depending on the weather, it would run better or worse.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I would stay with the jetting you have now and resist the urge to shim the needle. Typically an Evo 80" will almost never need a pilot jet larger than #46 but there's always that exception. Changing the position of the needle often leads to other problem throughout the powerband. With the larger pilot jet just check the plugs periodically. If you see them getting blackened you are too rich.

Regarding the possibility of an intake leak, I have never had complete success using wd40 to check this. What has worked better for me is spraying starting fluid, though this stuff is getting hard to find since few vehicles ever need it anymore. You also have to be careful with starting fluid as its very flammable. When in doubt I have always just replaced the intake gaskets.
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I agree with Ken on the WD40. I use carb cleaner to test for air leaks.
  8. Razor

Razor Member

Thanks for the advice. I replaced both gaskets in the intake area about two years ago. I went ahead and used carb cleaner today. I still couldn't detect a leak.

Today I was checking my battery and I found a torn vapor valve hose that exits the gas tank. Could this be leading to a problem concerning how the carb/engine performs? I plan on replacing it tomorrow.
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Won't effect how the engine runs but can dump gas and or vapors onto places you don't want it. Good thing to replace it.