1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Changed tire on a lift "break in"/balance beads

Discussion in 'Projects' started by voodoo1, May 9, 2009.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

My buddy has a pretty cool lift. It is manually pumped up. The back plate actually drops out on this one(NICE!). Only 300 bills on sale. Put to use to today.
    One new Dunlap from Oregon $127.00 one tube from the local Iron Pony $16.00 and a bit of "labor of love" and Whammo new tire. The lift though was pretty darn cool for $300.00 bills, simple,affordable and now broke in:D Ended up taking a new style car hand crank jack and welded a piece of angle onto it and cover it with a towel as not to scratch the fame. Pretty neat idea he had it made before I got there. It fight nicely in the spot right behind the tranny on the ol' wide glide.
    Had enough time to shoot the breeze then off to wear the shiny glaze off the new one. I "retired" the ol' tire in one last "Hoorah". Figure it might help heating it up one more time to loossen the bead:D . Oh yeah speaking of bead they went in farily easy one we used a piece of rubber hose over the valve and squezzed air into the tube after dudmping in a some beads then used a baby's snot remover(looks like a little turkey baister) to push the beads in with air.

Later:cool:
    Voo1
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cool........glad ya like the harbor freight llift....i also made a small bike lift from a scissor jack...they work great!!!!
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

4. chucktx

yes it will, it has extension wings for it........they do work great!!!!
  5. duke76

duke76 New Member

I put in Dyna Beads when I did my tires this last time too and I can honestly say I likem alot, I realize it always feels better right after anew tire but it sure seems smoother than it was by a long shot. Todd
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

yup SURE IS

Yeah it was from Harbor Freight. Nice!!! for that bit of money vs. a few grand for some of the others I have used. Heck I just throw it on a bike jack and a way I go, most of the time. Gonna put an Avon on the front.FIRST ONE!! of this kind I Venom I think is what I had written down see how it handles the pavement snakes and rain. This weekend. won't take long. Getting ribbed about the "AVon" next thing ya know Mary Kay paint and Caress seat and handle bars!!!!!! Heard it all day LOL.. All in fun.:D
    Glad ya liked the beads too!!!!
    Did ya take the weights off?:)

Voo1
  7. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

i have lead weights on my rims, "highly cosmetic" some one want to explain balance beads to me?
  8. chucktx

9. FLHTbiker

Question will balance beads work with tube tires?
  10. chucktx

now, this is just my opinion.....little glass/ceramic/ what ever balls running around inside my tube........tubes aren't very thick.....it would be on my mind every time i swung a leg..............
  11. 1988flhtc in nfld

12. duke76

duke76 New Member

13. duke76

duke76 New Member

It is very popular especially with the guys that do there own tires, that way they dont have to worry about how they are going to balance them, some guys I know dont even balance motorcycle tires they just line up the yellow dot with the valve stem and call it good. Some guys like them to because you dont need any weights making your rims look ugly. Todd
  14. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

yup

Tubes and beads are no problem. Heck Some truck drivers have been putting golf balls in tires for years. The dock where I am a few of the Canadian fellas prefer titleist brand golf balls. I guess they don't fall apart was my understanding.
    they statically stick where they need to be, but now when ya stop and take off it sounds like a hoola hoop. JUST KIDDING!!!!!
    Out here if ya don't buy the tire from them they won't mess with it. One place will supposedly if ya take the tire off they will put it on the rim but ya gotta buy the tire from them obviously. Heck if I got the i tire off I might as well finish the job. Break the seal and put the new one on. Saves me a 40 minute trip and 25 bucks per tire. Dealership 75 bucks an hour, est. time 1 hour/tire. get real no way.Oh yeah "dealer tube" 39 bucks!!! Yeah right!!! Local shop I tried but got more if not worse rook job attempts than the dealer. got alot of pay to play riders out here right where I live and around. I just like to do it myself. Nothing to hardto it never has been. Get the best tool in the box(manual) for torques and step by step and get busy.
    O got a balancer too nut wanted see what the beads did. I also got a few sets of beads in "nearby pouch just in case" they are not for balancing tires but ya might get to see some good stuff. Now throw your leg over that:D

Voo1
  15. FLHTbiker

Our stealer charges 120 per hour and that includes changing a tire. I think they charge 1 1/2 hours to do a tire, that really adds up. I buy the tires from them as they have the best prices on tires. I then remove the wheels and take them to a bike shop and have them installed. I tried breaking the bead on a bike tire once and balancing them myself. No fun at all, I'll pay someone to mount them. Still have that little tire balancer someplace, was the bubble type.
  16. 1988flhtc in nfld

took off my own wheels bought harley tires from polaris shop in town, change and ballance,50 bucks. cant go wrong.
  17. 5558

5558 New Member

Have used Dyna Beads with good results. Thought I would try Symonize sealant this time round. I have tube tires so wanted security from a puncture. No probles and the balance is fine. I would not use a sealant in a tubeless tire though. Too messy. I am glad you guys are advanced in your thoughts to try diffent things. Some other forums are so stuck on a static balance etc.
  18. chucktx

old's cool

lol lol
  19. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

i watched the video of the dyna beads but they never tried to spin the bottle fast before the beads? would it have made a difference versus the low speed? just curious....
  20. chucktx

trucks have been running tubless tires for years. i guess putting stuff in a tubless tire is better than putting them in a tube. putting stuff in a tube sorta bothers me...........jmo