1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

changes to forum . . .

Discussion in 'Using this forum - Help and Feedback' started by joshbob, Aug 14, 2013.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

So far, I don't like them.

Guess I'll get over it. I'm one of those people who dislikes change at first . . . any kind of change. Where are our signature pictures?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I'm not big on change either...LOL...If it ain't broke then don't fix it...I found it easier to navigate the old site...JMHO...
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I know people take to some things quick others have to adapt.

You'll get used to it, so far its pretty good and much more features than the old software.

Josh do you have the old image with you and your bike on your computer?
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

It's lurking in my old computer somewhere . . . not in this one. Neither Mac the Wife nor I can figure out how to post pictures from this computer :banghead.
  5. hotroadking

Ok to post an image in a thread like this one you have to have the image hosted somewhere
    on the internet. To do that you need a picture hosting service, photobucket offers a free image hosting
    service. www.photobucket.com. BTW it's a free site.

Once there you can post images anywhere on the net by referencing the picture
    on the host site.

When you look at your images on photobucket they give you the code to paste into
    any forum that uses HTML tags for image references. There is a box that says IMG
    you click in that box and it auto copies the code, then paste it into the post...

The code below is what you copied, you don't have to know how to type it out, I put some spaces in so the code shows up for reference.

[ URL = http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/hotroadking/media/Hounds/null_zps5f450b4f.jpg.html][IMG ]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/hotroadking/Hounds/null_zps5f450b4f.jpg[/ IMG][/ URL]

Heres what happens when you post the code as copied.

[​IMG]
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

WTF,you steal our cat? :arghh:
  7. FLHTbiker

Yea, we know about photo bucket but there still should be away to do it on hear.

I also noticed at the top where you can click on new posts that is does not always show all the new posts but at the far right side there is another one that says recent posts. By clicking that one on then it will show all the new and recent posts. Just my observations.
  8. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

When did your cat move to Florida? Or it's missie 3.i can't Figure out how to post pics. With my I-pad, I get pissed off real fast when it comes to computers,they don't like me and I feel the same.illiterate is the word that IAM looking for.ya need a 8 year old to learn ya.
  9. hotroadking

Thats the daughters newest addition, rescued it a few weeks ago.

YOu can upload images to the gallery then reference them that way.
  10. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I hadn't noticed there is no little paper clip thingy for adding your photos on your own machine. Yet there are two image URL link selections. I bet one could be made for your host pictures. If you hover over the button just right of the smiley guy, it says Image. That really should be the one for your own computer images.
  11. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I typically follow the same motto, if it ain'f broke...
    But in the case of this forum there was a lot broke that people may not have realized, and there were many patches and fixes holding the thing together.

The other major reason for the move was the software itself. The old forum was built on a product called VBulletin which was a great product... until it was bought out by a large company that is driving it into the ground. Long story short, within a couple of years or less all forums on that platform will be forced into an upgrade that is not only costly but poorly conceived.

Moving to this new platform here became an easy decision given the desire to continue providing a user friendly forum that most could adapt to. The platform was also designed by the same people who originally conceived the old forum software, which is why things are not completely different (only slightly).

Issues around images is still something I'm working on. Image uploads on the old version was one of the hardest hits to performance that required daily optimizing just to keep the thing from crashing. I relate it to taking a long ride and wanting to take the wife, dogs, and kids with me. Rather than pile them all on the back of my bike I'll settle for looking at a picture of them in my wallet when I reach my destination. Not sure about the rest but I know my dog will get over it ;)

FYI, there is a message thread going on under Announcements where I am trying to address issues as they come up. That may progress into a larger effort to track changes, requests, etc.
    http://bike-talk.com/threads/upgrades-to-bike-talk.19813/
  12. FLHTbiker

Well Ken I posted pictures of my trip called see yea and now they don't show up and when I tried to click one on it says error, so not sure what's going on.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

The times they are a changing Bob Dylan , it will all work out for the best , just a little time , I've been off line for a few days& came back to a new & better Bike talk , Just look around & you'll see it all in time :D, I did like the old icons better
  14. FLHTbiker

Found out Cardboard is in Alabama and he said he could figure out how to get on, :) does not surprise me. :joyful:
  15. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Administrator

To those asking about pictures, do you see the upload file button in the reply section?
    I'd suggest using that over a hosted platform in case those pictures vanish from the free hosted sites. Although there is something that admins can do to retrieve any hosted pictures if this is something you're comfortable with.

upload-image.png
  16. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Those that use host based photo's generally do it because they load a larger photo of 640 x 640 and not a thumbnail you have to select to see a photo at half the size.
  17. hotroadking

Here is an image from my iPhone uploaded using the Upload a File button, the image is 800 x 600 and 92KB size. No problems positing the image.

Attached Files:

18. hotroadking

Here is the second image, 1024 x 768, quite large and added to the post, it comes up as an Icon when posted this way and this is the same way the other forum software uploads images.

The only way to put a full size image in any BBS software is to copy and paste a hosted URL using the image icon...

Attached Files:

19. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I didn't say it didn't work. Just said you are left with a little bitty picture you have to select to really see.

[​IMG]

Which one is easier to view, yours or mine?
  20. FLHTbiker

That is what I used to upload the picks in my thread and now they are gone?