1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Changing over from fuel injection to SS super e on 97 road king need advice

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by davidalligood63, Mar 31, 2016.

1. davidalligood63

davidalligood63 Member

Efi to carb

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's something that you can do, buddy has a 98 EFI Cop King that now has a 113 el bruto from EFI to Carb.

Gas tank will need to be changed, you need a fuel petcock, or you will have to find a conversion petcock from EFI to fuel, remove the fuel pump and hoses from the inside.

ECM, remove it, you will need a new igintion module, one in the nose cone for an evo works, you'll have to wire it to the coil, and into the harness.

Any and all EFI sensor connections will need to be wired to work with the
    new ignition.

Easy way is to find a wrecked RK that was a carb and buy the harness.

Lot of work,

Why change...
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Nuttin better than a carbed Evo ... A look at a Parts Catalog will show you the sub harness's you need to switch, and the wiring that gotta be undone. You can get adapters for fuel tank, but you are better off switching tanks and going gravity fed fuel and electronic ignition...
  4. hotroadking

I still suggest you find or buy a carb main harness. It makes life easier vs train to cut out what you won't need

The connecting harnesses for turn signal lights dash controls will hook right up to the carb main harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting anything different,I thought the motor harness was a sub off the main
  6. hotroadking

You are correct
  7. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

The engine in my basket case was EFI when made in 2002.When I bought it someone changed it back to a carb.And I had to buy a wiring harness for it and the differance between EFI and carb is quite abit of money.EFI being more.Don't cut anything swap them out.