1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Projects' started by indnspringer, May 13, 2009.

1. indnspringer

indnspringer New Member

HI GUYS THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON THE SPEEDO I GOT A FRONT DRIVE ON IT I HAVE A NEW QUESTION HAVE ANYONE HAD A ALTERNATOR BLOW UP AND TURN TO POWDER THIS HAPPENED TO ME .I REWIRED THE BIKE AND BEFORE I DID IT WOULD NOT CHARGE SO I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A BAD RECTIFIER SO I REPLACED IT IT STILL DID NOT CHARGE SO I PULLED THE BELT DRIVE TO LOOK AT THE ALT. IT WAS POWDER :::wtf: THIS BIKE IS A MONEY PIT BUT I STILL LIKE IT I REPLACED ALT NOW I DONOT KNOW IF ITS CHARGING CORRECTLY THE VOLTS RUNNING WITH LIGHTS OFF VOLTS ARE 12.5 AND IT GOES UP TO SLOWLY TO 12.9 WITH LIGHTS ON IT DOES NOT MOVE PAST 12.9 BUT IT MAINTAINS IT STILL HAVE TO PUT BATT ON CHARGE ONCE EVERY TWO WEEK:::witsend:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

can ya ease off the CAPS please?????

with the readings you are getting, you are not running at full charge. i suspect the regulator, or a wiring problem. make sure all connections are tight and bright, including all grounds. i havent heard of an alt. turning to dust before.........
  3. indnspringer

indnspringer New Member

sorry about the caps wasnt paying att thanks for the info i will look at everything again and see if i missed something
  4. themotorsickledoc

themotorsickledoc New Member

what actually turned to dust? the magnets or the coils?
  5. indnspringer

indnspringer New Member

the magnets on the rotor which in turn hammerd the stator i would like to know how it happened because there were nothing else in there to make them turn to dust like that
  6. themotorsickledoc

themotorsickledoc New Member

ive seen that on a few bikes over the years most have been due to a bad bond between the magnets and rotor. its a glued joint. it onl;y takes one to come loose and knock the rest off. i had one bike in the sporter about 3 year ago. the owner had had tapped on he rotorwith a hammer when pulling it.he never checked the magnets before assembly. it was noisy after he had it running again. i caught it in time and was able to remount the magnet. there is a reason not to use a hammer on a rotor. these are teh two main reasons ive seen magnets come loose.