1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Chrome paint

Discussion in 'Projects' started by BluePearl, Mar 18, 2009.

1. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

I have a large stone chip on my front fender - right on the pin stripe so not a quick fix and I decided to repaint entire fender. I've been kickin around paint ideas re pin-up girl pic or mini-mural to customize it a little bit,thought about a "real" flame job but have no plans on painting entire bike. I have the HD 3-D flame chrome pcs - heat shields,fork covers & fender skirt etc and thought it would be cool to match that design to the front fender in chrome paint.
    I come to the experts here at BT for any experience with chrome paint I have found a few products but having a hard time gettin info on my application -can I airbrush and clearcoat the paint as I would like to mimic the 3-D effect from the stamped chrome. Any input on chrome paint at all would be great -- good sh1t bad sh1t or brand specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there are some good chrome paints out there, but they wont have the "true" chrome look up close. prep will be the key to a chrome like look. absolutely smooth!!!! and a quality clearcoat. check with house of color for their chrome....it is good, and very pricey!!! have fun and good luck...post a pic or two!
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ya might think about highlighting with shadow to make it stand out in relief.
  4. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

So you don't recommend air brushing over the chrome just a trace shadow?
  5. chucktx

you can airbrush over the chrome paint.....no problem....sounds like a good idea to hide the chip......:)
  6. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

The chip is just a good reason to do some customizing,because the chip is right on the pinstripe I told the wife I had to re-do entire fender! I will be fixing chip and repainting whole thing in the stock sunglo blue,but not replacing pinstipe or the CLASSIC insignia but goin with the chrome flames instead. I may bring this to a pro though, sounds like the chrome paint is very fussy on sub-strate and application, House of Kolor was very good site for info thanks chuck

$116 1/2 pint - Kosmick Krome House of Kolor (or Kolour as we would say here in Canada) EH!
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  7. chucktx

their paints are pricey.........i have found that ppg colors are just a durable as theirs, but the selection is not a wide. ppg has a great selection but not as vast as hok..........and quite a bit cheaper!
  8. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Not as expected

Just got back from painters - chrome paint is not exactly what I had in mind but is definitely a good look. Before the clear coat it was much higher reflection after it is cleared it takes on kind of a liquid metal look, doesn't have the shine but looks like it's moving as you walk around it. My painter even had someone who has used this stuff on goalie masks help him out and he said that only way to get any better is to use a water base clear and finding a compatible one was unlikely!
    Will have pics tomorrow hope the effect comes through in pics. Now I have to decide to put my big Classic bumper back on or leave it with the Heritage look on the fender?:confused:
  9. chucktx

a thought here.....waterbased clears are compatable with all paints....laquers, enamels, 1 part,2 part,3 part. follow mfg recomendations....cant wait to see the pics!!!!!
  10. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

HOK has a list of "recommended" clears all their own but no water base,I'm going to pick some up and try it with a sample piece. I think the problem is the Kosmic Krome has to be shot on the last unsanded clear coat and then cleared again.
    Pics coming this am
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

pics

[​IMG][​IMG]

Had hard time with angle and glare & pics don't show effects of chrome paint but it is cool lookin! Will try some more pics at night might help?

Attached Files:

12. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Looks great to me!
  13. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Thought of doing a BAMA body wrap on Toni`s trike......Had is worked out and my son could have ran it at his shop.......Decited we ride in Tennessee too much.....Some of them Vol`s really don`t like Alabama and might take offence to it!!!!!:rolleyes: :D
  14. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Got to love Alabama

Rap it and to hell with Tennessee -- BAMA is the best Redneck state in the union, just ask Forest!!:roflmao: :roflmao: and thats from a northener
    (Canada is in the north lol)
  15. chucktx

very nice!!!!!!!! looks like a great job and the clear is very nice also!!!!! congrats on super job!!!!
  16. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Dam extra paint

I have just enough paint left over from fender to paint inner fairing,tear down started this am. Everything went well except for 2 broken brackets on right side,luckily stealer had in stock and even gave me all 4 to replace under warranty (after my $50 deductible of course) and he is even going to let me put them on :roflmao: what a nice guy!!
    The question I have is to go with standard clear on the inner or more of a flat finish for glare or if this is even a problem, I only have a 3" wind deflector on it so windshield glare is not an issue!
    I was even thinking of using stock blue colour with maybe some flake but decided that would be to "pimped out" for my taste - nothing against flake for those who may have it:D
  17. chucktx

you shouldnt get much glare from the inner fairing. i have cleared a lot of them with no complaints. where the most glare comes from is the big domed lid covering the gas cap!!!!!!!!!
  18. Mayor

Mayor New Member

I don`t get any glare from my inner fairing and it is black cherry (very shinney) I don`t think Forrest really played for the Bear! Some people have called and ask when he played at Bama!:roflmao:
  19. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

dang that is why i cant see where i'm gettin my gas at:D :roflmao:
    k bad joke
  20. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

He didn't really play for Bama? What about BubbaGump Shrimp - don't tell me thats not true too!!