1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

C'mon, Spring!

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Men, (and women, if you're out there say so), this Fall/Winter is a suckfest. My ride, Ol' Red, has been in the shop since friggin October, right after I got back from my San Antonio run! Something is causing it to think it is over-revving and shutting off when I get on it, and no one has found why yet. If I didn't have Suzy-Q, my dual-sport 650cc, I'd really be nuts.

Damn, I can't wait to get my baby back and hit the highway. Probably be knee deep in snow then, but today is just rain, rain, rain...but even the ducks have moved on, it seems, as hunting has been mostly a bust so far this year.

Enough whine, time for whiskey............
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

We're experiencing a heat wave...23 degrees!

Might be time to upgrade you're scoot RR? And thats not such a bad thing. The new technology is awsome. Lots to chose from. New models like the sport-glide or even an Ultra for all the riding you do. You can't take it with you,lol.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Spring ah, bikinis and broads at the beach...

oh yeah and motorcycles.

Good luck on figuring out whats up with Ol Red....

I'll echo BI, and tell ya what I told my neighbor, don't go test drive a new HD....
    unless you want to buy a new HD, big time difference.

He went and test rode the new bikes, now has a new 2018 Arr Gee...
  4. Red Rider

No other bagger for me than a King. And as much as I like the new ones (I have Test Driven 'em), I'm too loyal to Red. Has to "die" before being replaced.o_O
  5. hotroadking

good luck in finding your problem

If it's EFI I'd look at the throttle body sensors.
  6. Red Rider

Nah, it's carbed (Mikuni HSR 45) and I'm pretty sure it's bound to the rev-limiter circuitry, but in Carson City's Battle Born H-D's hands now - I gave up.

Thing is, I think I first noticed the problem while going a little too fast & hard while blasting down HWY 50 in Eastern NV, and then again when racing along with JohnnyBiker in Minnesota one evening run when last I was there. It seems like the ignition just shuts off and then fuel overfills and backfires through the carb - and this is before with the stock 40mm CV and later. That backfire then knocks the crap out of the vacuum lines on the carb. That is my thinking, for what it is worth. BB H-D is working it on their Dyno, the only real way I know to get a good test. If it is less than $15K to fix, it will be worth it!;)
  7. hotroadking

Well that's good at least you have a handle on it..

That's what happens when you ride with hot rodders....

Like a buddy said when asked why he didn't take his
    car to the track, "drag racin breaks shit.."
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Gosh Red, if your bike has been there since October, I would think about getting Red out of there and into a good indy shop.seems they are'nt fixing the problem. I have to say that when I had the chance to saddle O' Red along with Hot Rider when we were there, I did not notice anything wrong at all, she ran very well.

The backfires can come from many places. If it is backfiring, I would have checked the intake seals and the head gaskets for degradation. Sometimes the old propane tests just don't work. (I know this from experience with the Sportster), and you have to take the top end apart to find the culprit. If it is backfiring, the ignition has to be working at that time otherwise how would the fuel be ignited? You would experience more of a flooding out condition for obvious reasons. How was your fuel mileage?

If you think it is fuel, check ignition, if you think it is ignition, check fuel.

PS. I forgot to ask, when you had the top end done in New Berlin, did you upgrade the ignition then or subsequently?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

And by the way, I am not a "Hot Rodder"! :p I enjoy power but never us it.:rolleyes:;)
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. Red Rider

Actually, this is the second shop since October. The first one, the indy shop Shoeman's in Reno, was unable to complete the troubleshooting/repair due to the owner/sole Dyno operator being injured. We (he and I) were hoping he'd recover in time to finish the job, but after almost 2 months I pulled the bike out and moved on to the Carson City H-D. Wasn't in a big hurry, as it is hunting season and I have another bike (Suzi DR-650SE) for that, but two months was enough.

The ignition was upgraded before the 95" upgrade.

There may be good news soon on this, but awaiting a part for now. If it turns out to be what we think it is, it will be a good story. Keeping fingers crossed......I'll definitely follow up as soon as there are results.
  11. Red Rider

Sure your not.........NOT!!:D
  12. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Weather breaking up here finally. 60's and sunny sat-sun-monday. Need a little more rain to get the salf off the road. Still to early to get the hose out as it drops to 30+ degrees at night. Soon,real soon.

But warm enough to rake the yard, sand,caulk and paint. Clean out the flower beds. Winter puts a beaten on the house.

Sure feels good to be outside with sun even. Will be riding shortly.

Hope everyone else is getting out of the cave.
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. Red Rider

Riding sleeveless today. Been on my Suzi DR-650 dual-sport and our ATVs a lot lately, (got a new toy hauler and have been in the boonies on a shakedown run), and now time for the King to get some highway fun.