1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cold weather decel popping

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by GreyBear, Mar 1, 2007.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Just wondered if anyone has had this happen to them. I am running 06 tc88, python duals, power commander and K&N filter. From the time they went on they ran great, still do, as long as the temps above 35 or so. But when I was up in the DC area they started popping on decel. Got back home it stopped. Then the other day the temp dropped and I took off early morning the popping started again but quit when the temps rose a bit. Since then it's been nice and nothing. My theory is the cold air is denser than warm air and so changes things a bit. But since I don't plan on an anartic run figure leave things as they are. Any advise ? Thanks.

Ride Free......
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hey GreyBear, was the mapping adjusted for the pythons or before you added them? If before you may need to update with a newer map. You are right on about the air density when cold, and if it gets real bad you might consider calling the Powercommander folks. They are very helpful and may have an alternative map or cold weather setting for you.

You can email them at: tech@powercommander.com
    or call a tech at: 1-800-992-4993
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Thanks

Thanks for the info! Yes the pythons, air cleaner and power commander were all done at the same time and set up for that combo. I hope I won't be dealing with much cold weather for a while but am gonna call the power commander guys and see just to have a back up plan. Thanks again.

Ride Free....
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My 03 TC 88 was doing the same thing but all different parts except for the PC 3 , & when I change the oil the other day I double check the pipes , had to put a couple of turn's on the bolts that hold them into the heads poping all gone , cold or hot , :cool:
    :cheers:
  5. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

My '96 FLSTC EV does the same thing in cold weather. But when it warms up later on in the day, it runs fine!!! Whassup with that???:)
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

are the header gaskets original?? heat and cold expansion may be playing a part in your problem.....when cold they pop, when warm they close up....just a thought.......
    chuck