1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Convert fuel injection to carburetion

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chevy8fan, Dec 11, 2005.

1. chevy8fan

chevy8fan New Member

I have a 1997 Road King that has fuel injection I would like to convert to Carb. Does someone know all that has to be done to accomplish this? Is there a kit offered here at direct Parts?
    Thank you.

Scott
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

zippers performance has the "parts" you need, google them when you call CS you have to ask about it, it's not a "kit"

you'll need

Carb
    intake,
    Throttle cables
    fuel line
    petcock kit to replace EFI connections on tank.

You will have to remove the injectors and tie off the harness I wouldn't cut them out in case you find problems and want to go back EFI.

Just curious why go Carb. Problems with EFI? I know the first years of EFI were not the best I had a 97 EFI RK. Ran pretty good
  3. chevy8fan

chevy8fan New Member

hotroadking

Thank you for the info.
    I just remember the care free days of my 96 FLSTN (carbureted). I am a lot better mechanic than electrician......
  4. hotroadking

EFI is far more tuneable than a carb believe it or not, it has disadvantages in that it's a different learning curve, but then again, getting gas all over you and the bike while you get under the carb and pull off the bowl each time to change pilot jets LOL

there are tools and bolt ons that allow you to tune EFI to about most any combination of performance parts,

The new efi systems are better than previous and it will just get better over time in fact carb s will be gone soon due to epa regs.

It's not all bad in that with the right tools you can really tune an EFI bike.
  5. Harley Rider

Harley Rider New Member

1997 Road King, Is this a 80" EVO engine? Did they inject evo's in 97? or did they inject evo's at all?

Edit(Sorry chevy8fan,this question was not ment to question your knowledge,Yours is fuel injected i'am not questioning that,Just did they inject 1340 evo's or is this a different engine)

I ask because i saw a 1998 Road King for sale with a 1340 engine,I assume that would make it a evo style engine? Yes?, No?

And if they did. Is it possible to convert a 1995 1340 evo over to Fuel Injection?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  6. CD

CD Guest

EFI was available on select bagger (FLT/H) EVO models from '96-'98. The ECU on the '96 is different than the ECU on the '97-'98 EVO and '99-'01 TC88 models. You can install an ECU from a '97 and later into a '96 EFI bike.

Only the EFI EVO's had the cases and flywheels with the correct sensor ports and the wiring is totally different so conversion would be impracticle at best.

The first TC88A was released in the '99 baggers and FXD Dyna models. The '99 Softails were the last year of the EVO engine. In '00, the TC88B was introduced in the Softail models.

History class dismissed for today.:D
  7. hotroadking

Yep,

My 97 RK had EFI

The first years were the Magnetti Marelli system or MM, pretty basic a simple curve of fuel and igntion,

This is an open loop system because there is no oxygen sensor to sniff the exhaust to tell the ECM what to do to change fuel or timing to keep it optimal. The ECM just does what it is programmed to do regardless of anything else going on.

These are upgraded using flash updates which can only be done by a dealer, and adding Powercommanders a bolt on tuning device that reads cam and crank position and tricks the ECM into adding or reducing timing and fuel.

Basic but works and is limited

The Delphi systems came about I think in 02 The ECM has more ability but still an open loop system in that no 02, you'd think HD would have done this but I suspect it will be a part of the newer system with EPA regs.

A closed loop system is one where the ECM has an Oxygen or O2 sensor and it sniffs the exhaust, reads the crank position, timing etc a complete package and once the aftermarket gets it's hands on it, will allow for on the fly tuning, no dynos needed a learning system will be available. Like the S&S VFI and IST systems.