1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crank case Breather

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by PetesHarley, Dec 16, 2015.

1. PetesHarley

PetesHarley Member

Hello everyone on here !!! I am looking to change my crankcase breather on my 89 evo .. Was wandering if anyone could give me some insight on what is the best to replace with.the stock plastic gear or the s&s reed valve type .. Any informative input would be greatly appreciated Thanx
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

guess the question is "why" unless it's broken, leave it alone or
    if you are having issues with oil blowby into the intake or excessive oil issues.

It's a nice piece that SNS reed type and supposedly helps with oil issues
    but the stock one works fine...
  3. PetesHarley

PetesHarley Member

Thanx for getting back to me !!! I am putting a new cam in the bike and pulled out the breather just to ckeck and there was a broken tooth on the plastic gear.. So more then anything was wandering what was better the s&s or should I get a new stock plastic gear
  4. hotroadking

the sns metal reed gear is nice, but expensive
    I'd probably go back to the stock HD unit
  5. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

HD missed the boat on this one, Plastic Breather with all metal gears on the other components looks to be cheap replacement but does work, I replaced a cam in mine a while back on my '96 Road King and replaced the breather at the same time with metal, 45000 miles later and have never had any problems. MO I would do metal but it does not have to be S&S there are a number of companies making them high quality for the big Twin, google it and you will see them. Just makes sense to be all metal in that gear area again MO
  6. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

The oem is good, doe's not have a stressload on it from driving anything but itself. If you have stock oil pump I agree with HRK.
  7. PetesHarley

PetesHarley Member

Thanx everyone for your info... I have decided to go with the s&s reed style breather .. no teeth to break and also no timing to do ..Hope it works for me thanx again Pete
  8. hotroadking

Let us know how it works out
  9. PetesHarley

PetesHarley Member

Hya all after I purchased the reed type breather and have it in . I find out that it will not work before 1993 .. not really sure why but that is what the experts are saying, any comments on this
  10. hotroadking

Contact Tech Support at SNS, it is the SNS part correct?

They will tell you why and if they have an alternative
    I guess it's back to stock, which should work fine..

http://www.sscycle.com/about/contact-us/
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Before '93 the bikes were bottom breathers,'93-up went to head breathers, not sure why the experts say it wouldn't work,but I looked on another board (HTT) and a couple of guys used them in early Evo's and a Shovel and they said it worked fine.
  12. PetesHarley

PetesHarley Member

thanx for the reply!!! I have it in now and after the first start up all seemed to work fine ... It makes sense to me that it should be better as there are no moving parts ,but we will see . Will keep you posted Pete
    Lucifer likes this.
  13. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

the plastic breathers should be taken out of every motor their in,for one,they don't say round so theres not a good vacuum resulting in blow by & second (the most important thing) is the plastic material is actually harder than the allumium and will score the breather cavity. S&S are my choice but MIDWEST & MID-USA both have cheaper steel one
  14. PetesHarley

PetesHarley Member

Thanks for your your reply re the breather gear!!! I have put a new s&s reed style breather in now .Hope it works out for me for sure!!!