1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cross Country

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by badinfluence63, Oct 24, 2010.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

This past September 18th through October 8th me and my wife rode from New Hampshire to San Diego, CA, 3 weeks and 7000+ miles. My 2001 Ultra performed without the slightest glitch. 2 oil changes and one back tire.

The adventure that is America is something to be seen whether hitch hiking cage or 2 wheels. I didn't find the corn fields of Iowa boring,nor the wheat fields of Kanasa or the praire, desert and mountains. It does get slightly unnerving when you are literally hundreds of miles in the middle of no wheres never seeing a car for hours, gas stations up to 160 miles apart.... America is a roler coaster ride of wonderment and ever changing geology of extremes.

I have hundred of photos from this trip as well as other trips I have taken. Key West/ Nova Scotia/Paintsville,KY/Outer Banks,NC/ Ashville,NC to name a few.

Below is a photo of a rider we met on the outside of Pittsburg,KS and we rode together to the otherside of Witchita,KS. Riding with others of unknown origin is good for the company but make sure you discuss the amount of miles before stopping. Some like to crush tank to tank, others stop first vista or view that comes along, both instances are fine but everyone has preferences just make sure you agree ahead of time, before heading back out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a great trip. You must have gone through Nevada, they have areas of really long stretches with very limited gas available. One reason why I really like my 6 gal tank.
  3. badinfluence63

Nevada,Utah,Arizona,New Mexico,Texas,Oklahoma were along those lines of scarce gas stations. 2/3 of southern kansas heading east, at least on st rt 400 was desolete prairie with scarce gas stations too.

The TPK I-44 between OK city and St Louis went about 70 miles before there was a no fuss gas stop on the TPK, otherwise one had to take an exit, pay a toll that did not have an attendant and you better have the correct change. And there still might not be a gas station. I didn't top off in OK city and should have. I only had the 5 gallon tank, the 204SE cam plus loaded with 2 passengers made for modest MPG and wished I had the 6. That one gallon is a difference maker,eh.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  4. badinfluence63

Couple travel photo ops:

Attached Files:

• st1.jpg
      st1.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
    • st2.jpg
      st2.jpg
      File size:
      6.6 KB
      Views:
    • st4.jpg
      st4.jpg
      File size:
      5.7 KB
      Views:
    • st3.jpg
      st3.jpg
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
    • st5.jpg
      st5.jpg
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
    • st6.jpg
      st6.jpg
      File size:
      8.6 KB
      Views:
  5. TampaTempest

TampaTempest New Member

Was there any particular gear or anything special you remember thinking to yourself you were glad you brought along? Thinking of trying it myself but need to find a good travel buddy.
  6. badinfluence63

I lived in a pair of cortech/tourmaster over pants. It enabled me to keep packing extra to a minimum. In other words I only brought one extra pair of jeans for going out to dinner when the days riding was done.

Also my Roadtech XM radio. And a can of fix-o-flat(murphies law, if you have it you'll never need it)

7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sound's like thats the way to go stop be more offten badinfluence63:eek:
  8. TampaTempest

TampaTempest New Member

Thanks badinfluence63! My kind of adventure....I'm itching to go!
  9. badinfluence63

Hey now cowboy.

10. badinfluence63

Make sure you do as much Preventitive maintenance on your bike as possible
    before you leave.

Myself I did the twin cam upgrade,stage I download and new SE204 cam. New rubber,front and back, idle and throttle cables,new battery and new brake pads and the 25,000 mile tune up before I left.

As well I got oil changes every 2-3000 miles and a tire change while on the road. The HD dealer network is awsome, we are every where! I would call a day or so before I was getting near a dealership and explain I was on the road and what I needed. They would ask what I needed and when I was planning on being in town and they always took me right in.

My trip was a couple years in the planning. Was originally suppose to ride to Alaska and back.

11. cowboy

LO don't take that wrong you always have a good word to say , About your travles & bike rides in general:D
  12. badinfluence63

I been riding all my life as many have here and have experienced most every aspect of it from a Harley Rider point of view and I feel now older, I am in a more exciting and rewarding aspect of it.....long distance touring baby.

And I encouraged others who ride to take the plunge because you never know the way things are going.....that oportunity may not always exist?

13. TampaTempest

TampaTempest New Member

Dear Badinfluence63 - I was just thinking this will be a lost opportunity. You're right, you never know when it will suddenly all be gone. Bought a lightweight tent and I've started planning my trip. In the spring, if all goes well, I'm out of here. Just a girl that's gotta go! You are a bad influence! Thanks!
  14. badinfluence63

As a female always be aware. Be aware and alert of who's around you at any given times and stops. Be alert to anyone who may be following you. And consider wearing a full face helmet so you're not easily recognized as a female. Try to be settled in for the day before dark. Meet and ride with other riders while on the road but let conscience be your guide. If someone seems like trouble, don't make excuses they are probably trouble. Most of who I saw on the road were older folks. I did meet one solo young female rider on the TPK I-44 between OKC and St Louis. Her tank bag had blown off and she was walking around picking up stuff. We offered to help her and set with her till she was all set.

Everyone has to exercise caution, more so women. It can be easily accomplished but you need to be smart and careful. Good luck. Where ya heading to?

This year I'm riding to The Hub (motorcycle resort)in Harrison,AR and on another trip to Pigeon Forge,TN. Maybe we'll cross paths.

15. badinfluence63

Huh?

16. TampaTempest

TampaTempest New Member

Dear Bad Influence: I once told my son that I would love to take up scuba diving but was afraid I'd be eaten by a shark. He thought about it and then said that he would rather tell the story that his mother had been eaten by a great white than suffered the indignity of dying a slow death from alzheimers. Hopefully, I'm smart enough to know a bad thing when I see it and quick enough to get out of it's way. Thank you for all the good advice. I'm glad there are still great people out there like you and yours.
  17. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

badinfluence63 - when ya plannin' on goin to Pigeon Forge? It's on my agenda also!
  18. TampaTempest

TampaTempest New Member

Pigeon Forge does look great. Maybe Pigeon Forge to Alaska? When are you going?
  19. cowboy

Like the way you just help out , this young lady , this is the way it should be , we should all give our fellows rider this kind of help/riding tips:cool:
  20. badinfluence63

Hey Sarge,

I'll be heading out the 7th of May a Saturday, but don't expect to be in Pigeon Forge until Tuesday evening the 10th of May.

You?