1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cv carb help!

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by flip21boards, Jul 19, 2013.

1. flip21boards

flip21boards New Member

ok so ive gone through the whole carb and replaced everything. Im over this carb. I have a 2007 xl1200r converted to carb with a thunder heart single fire ignition I had to get a special manifold from hammer performance to fit the efi heads since they are abit wider between the heads. I have a cvp kit for 04-06. with the jets recommend I could turn the idle mixture screw all the way in and it would still run. started with a 46piliot now I am down to a 42 and when I turn that all the way in it dies but when I turn it out it does seem to do much other then idle high. I checked intake manifold leaks with wd-40 didn't seem to change idle or anything. I have a mooneyes air cleaner on it with 1-3/4 paughco drag pipes no baffles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    mike
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mike, other than the mixture setting can you describe what problem you are having? A #44 or #45 pilot jet is probably in the correct range for your bike.

Depending upon the problem it may be related to sensors as opposed to the carburetor since that bike was set up originally for EFI. I assume the conversion is using a MAP sensor on the manifold and the new ignition is designed to work with that. Pulling the trouble codes is where I would start so you can isolate any problem that is not carburetor related.
  3. flip21boards

flip21boards New Member

Hey ken, whats weird is this ignition does not use a map sensor. Ive heard of other guys ditching it as well. The other thing I was thinking is maybe a crank position sensor? not really sure. Im just having a hard time tunning it even with a 45 in there I can turn in all the way and it will still run. I was messing with the 42 and the same thing sounds like way to much gas for whatever reason. The float level was off so I fixed it I bought a new needle from you so that should be good. It just seems like the idle mixture screw doesn't really have an effect. I have the ez adjust I even went back to the stock one same thing. The other thing is ignition timing I don't know how much it can throw the settings off. Ive opened up a can of worms for sure.
  4. flip21boards

flip21boards New Member

Also there is no ecm. I cut that out and just wired the ignition its only like 6 wires crank position and coil wires.
  5. flip21boards

flip21boards New Member

Also found out my manifold flanges are a little warped. new ones on the way.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Without a MAP sensor (or VOES) what tells the ignition to advance or retard the timing? I think you may be dealing with timing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. flip21boards

flip21boards New Member

Thanks for getting back ken I got rid of the thunderheart and found a used 06 sportster wiring harness with a used screaming eagle ignition am going to try that route thanks for getting back.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

flip21 after you get it running right again put some baffles in them pipes you'll thank your self a bit more top end & better lower end , I bought the long ones at a swap meet & cut the down to about 4-5 in still sounds good & better performance :D
  9. flip21boards

flip21boards New Member

Yeah I will try it out im sure it will help with tuning the carb too
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It will, open pipes are nothing but loud, no good unless you have a
    high RPM drag bike as it kills low end power, a good exhaust helps
    pull the burnt exhaust gases out and pull in new fresh fuel in the overlap
    position of the cam(s) a bad exhaust can fubar the system enough
    and cause tuning issues.