1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

cv carb

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by superfly, Apr 4, 2016.

1. superfly

superfly Member

hello I'm looking for some help I have 02 electra glide that I just put a 95 kit in with andrews tw37 cams and rush dual exhaust. The carb has 170 main jet and a 45 primary I did not install them so was curious if that was a good starting point or does anyone have a better idea as to what ones to use:(
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That's a good starting point. With the 45 pilot,if you get your best idle more than 3-3.5 turns out on the idle mix screw,go up one size,you're not going to need less than a 45 with your set up. After 1/4 throttle ,you're on the needle,then after 3/4 it's the main...170 main,you might be a little lean. Get the pilot good then go from there...Any other changes, like breather and compression??
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Agree with Lucifer. On a 95" build you are going to be quite lean on both ends. You may be able to tune your mixture upward but will likely need a pilot jet closer to a #48 with that much displacement.

The main jet is far too lean for even a stock Twin Cam which typically can handle a #190. You are at risk of detonation (pinging) and causing serious damage if jetted extremely lean. At the very least you could overheat the engine with a very lean condition.

For reference, the kits we sell at CV Performance for a 95" big bore have main jets of #195 and #200, where the smaller of the two is recommended for heavier touring models. Since it is unknown what needle you currently have I recommend at minimum a #190 minimum main jet with 95 inches of displacement to prevent detonation. Do not run the engine hard or under load with a #170 main jet.
  4. superfly

superfly Member

thanks for the info i just ordered the kit from cvp so will try some changes and go from there