1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV jet needle adjustment

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by misput, Mar 31, 2013.

1. misput

misput New Member

Help! Cannot find any info on how to determine which grove to install the clip on the CV needle jet on my 2000 Sporty. Bike seems to be running a little lean, plugs are ash white, takes too long to warm up. Have went to next size larger jets, low and main which stopped the "farting" through the carb". Low speed jet is three turns out. Cold weather. I moved the Clip one grove (can't remember which way) when I was in it. Thanks for any help.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

moving clip up makes it leaner, down makes it richer
  4. misput

misput New Member

I do not know what kit it is but the needle is adjustable up or down with a clip.
    My question is, which way do I move the clip to enrich the mixture? Or is that not the purpose of the adjustments?
  5. misput

misput New Member

Thank you. Is each notch like fine tuning or does each notch make a big difference?
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

a little more than fine tuning, try it see what ya think, is your slide metal or plastic?
  7. misput

misput New Member

It is metal. I will dig into it in a few days and let you know. Thanks again.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Middle setting is where the clip comes in the kit...gives you too richer and two leaner...3 turns out on the mixture screw seems OK...pilot jet is close...What are ya running and what's the jetting??:)
  9. misput

misput New Member

I do not remember the the #s, it has been a while, just went one size larger than was already in there. I think when I put the clip one notch richer should get me close. The bike is running ok but am concerned that plugs show it is lean and could cause damage in the long run.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't trust plug readings, unleaded is hard to judge unless it's soot black
    you look for them to get a little tan but mine have come out white after 20K
    fuel is very different,

the Idle Mix screw is key, lightly turn the screw all the way in, DO NOT force it
    just lightly touch, then back out 2.5 turns.

Start bike and warm up, set the throttle screw to hold 1500 ish RPM
    then turn screw in until idle changes, count turns.

then immediately turn it out, counting turns idle will
    return to normal and then keep turning until it changes,

turn back half the turns you counted and that's the sweet spot.

turn off bike, count turns in until lightly seated.

If it's just a 1 or 2 turns in you are a little rich on the pilot
    if it's 3 or more you are lean. between 2 and 3 is right.

Once you do that you can play with the needle, so start in middle

If you have a really thin tapered needle it's one that will allow fuel to come
    on early, a fat needle or one with stock taper will restrict fuel longer

At low throttle position you are on the pilot jet, as you roll on the needle lifts giving
    more fuel, moving the clip up delays the needle coming into play (leaner) dropping the clip
    allows the needle to come up on taper earlier and thus more fuel early.

The Main jet really only comes into play at WOT (other than what the needle lets through until its out)

Main jets on stock bikes are ok typically as EPA doesn't mess with WOT as part of
    the rules, the idle jet is typically a bit small and adjustment of the screw is key.

Make sure the idle jet is right, then play with the needle. Don't worry about the main jet.
  11. misput

misput New Member

Thank you hotroadking. Wow! I am surprised and pleased to get so much good information.
    Now I can do some serious tuning when I get time. WOT is wide open throttle I assume?
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member