1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV Perf. parts installed, still having hiccups at speed.

Discussion in 'Other CV Performance products' started by senojbor, Apr 1, 2012.

1. senojbor

senojbor New Member

Wife bought 2005 XL883C: Had factory pipes with baffles removed, we added K & N air filter,. Not sure what jets are currently installed in carb. Assuming they are still the factory set.

Was having problem with the carb hiccuping when riding at highway speed
    (55-60) either with steady throttle or letting off slightly. Also, less frequently during acceleration.
    Thought a rebuild was in order. I installed new parts including CV perf. EZ- Just mixture screw and packing, CVP Velocity Needle, CVP slide spring and a new vacuum slide. Based on the descriptions of these parts I was sure that the issue would be eliminated.
    I adjusted the mixture screw as describe and the low end seems to be good. No hesitation on throttle or backfiring when releasing the throttle. I don't have a tach on this bike so I don't know what the actual idle speed is but when trying to turn the screw in to get the idle to stumble it didn't seem to have any affect.
    Still having the hiccups at speed.
    Any ideas as to what would be causing my mid to high end coughing problems. I would like to continue to use the factory carb but am considering a change to Super E.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

seno don't give up the cv just yet , one of the carb guys or kenfused him self wiil get you right & wife rideing before you know it :D
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

There could be a couple of things going on here.

Emulsion tube: Do you know if this is stock, DynoJet, or CVP?

Main jet: Size?

Pipes: You mentioned they are stock with the baffles removed. This raises an instant red flag for me. Stock pipes were designed to scavenge at mid to mid-high rpm's with the baffles installed. Without baffles stock pipes are notorious for having dead spots and carb tuning cannot always overcome this. The mixture screw, pilot jet, and needle will not offer any cure in this range. I would try to install something in the path where the baffles used to be, such as a couple of bolts in a cross pattern or a large eye-screw (per muffler) to create a break in the exhaust flow.

I won't go into all the drawbacks of installing a S&S Super E other than it would be an expensive attempt at a fix that would likely not fix anything if the exhaust is at fault. If you can afford it I would suggest a good set of pipes that are baffled and tuned for a Sportster rather than investing in a new carburetor. Just avoid drag pipes or short pipes.
  4. senojbor

senojbor New Member

Thank you for the information kenfuzed.

The emulsion tube is stock.
    I don't know for sure what the main jet size is but suspect it is also stock.

I have decided to order up a pair of Vance and Heinz slip on mufflers with baffles to get the back pressure back. I will install them and in the mean time get the jet sizes for reference in case more tuning is needed.

Thanks again.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say Welcome from one Minnesotan to another. :cool:
  6. senojbor

senojbor New Member

I installed the new Vance and Hines slip on mufflers with baffles. While they sound great, we are still experiencing the cough/hiccup while at speed. It is most noticeable if you let off on the throttle a little and then roll back on.
    The symptom is not as noticeable if the enricher is pulled out about 1/3.

As I stated in the previous post, the emulsion tube is stock. I checked the jets and they are Idle = 45 and Main = 175.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Kick the main jet up one size.
  8. kenfuzed

Typically an 883 without head work or performance cams will top out with a #175 but given all else discussed I would agree, bump up the main to a #180 and give the emulsion tube a good cleaning in case any of the side passages are clogged.
  9. senojbor

senojbor New Member

I have another question referring back to my 1st posting. When I've tried to adjust the mixture screw down to the point that the engine begins to stumble, I don't notice much if any difference as I adjust the screw to the full closed position. From what I've read this indicates that a smaller idle jet should be installed. Is it usual to go with a smaller idle jet while increasing the main jet?
  10. senojbor

senojbor New Member

Since the last post, I pulled the emulsion tube and installed the CVP model. Also installed a 180 main jet. The mixture screw is turned out about 2 3/4 turns and i am still having the same problems as from the beginning of these posts.
    I tried the propane trick to see if there were any intake leaks but nothing seemed apparent.
    Is there anything else I should check? I am at wits end with this thing. I can't figure out why I can't get a good tune, even with all the CV Performance parts installed.
    Is there a procedure where I can go back to square one and start over with this process?
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  11. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Was this a problem before you did any mods at all to the bike ?
  12. JohnnyBiker

If he isn't hammering on the throttle, he is pretty much still on the pilot circuit. I would check to make sure that the pilot jet is clear and free of debris. If it is, then go to the next size pilot. I know it is a different bike and carb but my wifes bike would pop like crazy below 60 mph. Once I got in the upper speeds it was fine. When I would let off of the throttle, I would get a real nasty decel pop. Decel popping is a sign of lean condition. On a CV, with a Sportster, 55-60 is teetering from pilot starting to transition to main, especially on an 883. he could try putting in the N65 needle to see if it is the transition that is causing the problem..

Just thinking out loud.
  13. kenfuzed

Since this forum category is for support of the CVP product line I'm going to recommend trying to solve this using the component already installed. The CVP tuners kit uses parts that set a baseline similar to stock and should give the ideal starting point. Given everything else that has been tried the next thing to check is if the low speed circuit is clogged. I would try the following to cleaning out these passages which often solves problems caused by old fuel that has clogged the air passages.

1. Remove the mixture screw (or EZ-Just) and mixture packing (o-ring, washer, spring)
    2. Remove the pilot jet
    3. Spray small amount of carburetor/injector cleaner into pilot jet passage and mixture screw passage
    4. Blow out passages with compressed air. Note that air will also come out of a passage located on the lower front of the carburetor.

Use caution when blowing out passages so that you don't blow the cleaning fluid back in your eyes.

Also, can you tell me what needle or kit you ordered? You can send me your email address by private message and I can look it up in our system. I want to make sure you are using the correct needle for your model.
  14. senojbor

senojbor New Member

Yes, over all about the same.
  15. kenfuzed

After receiving your second message I now know what some of the problem may be. Our needle you ordered (through J&P) is the XLNDL2 which is made for a 2004-06 XL1200. This needle is made specific for that model since the 04-06 1200 had different heads (same as Buel XB heads). Your 2005 XL 883 has basically the same valve and chamber design as the 1988-2003 models and the needle you received will give you a flat spot on any 883.

I will send you the correct needle, I just need your address. Please send me your address by private message and I will get that off to you.
  16. senojbor

senojbor New Member

Thank you so much. I was beginning to think I was completely inept at this whole CV tuning thing. I appreciate all of your help. My goal is to have a ride-able bike for the wife so that she doesn't lose interest.
  17. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Ken, I often hear you say to avoid drag or short pipes. Just wanted you to know I have drag AND short (34") pipes with 10 1/2" baffles on my 1200cc shovel. Air cleaner is a stock knucklehead (5" dia.) with foam insert.

After installing your tuners kit and a new stock slide, my carb is spot on and the motor runs great. After 700+ miles since the tune up, there's only a very slight yellowish discoloration on the pipes.

Senojbor - I hope your carb problem got solved. Welcome to the forum and I apologize for hijacking your thread!
  18. senojbor

senojbor New Member

I need to thank Kenfuzed one more time. I received the new needle today and installed it. After minimal mixture adjustment the bike runs like a dream. I couldn't get it hiccup/cough ect. no matter what I tried. Good Job.:)
  19. JohnnyBiker

See post 12. I suggested the needle. I must be a mirage.:wtf:
  20. senojbor

senojbor New Member

Thank you to you also Johnny.