1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV Performance Kit and emission inspection

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by AZ Doug, May 5, 2011.

1. AZ Doug

AZ Doug New Member

I have installed the kit and all the extras. Very pleased with the performance. Added new duals from Freedom Performance and everything is sweet.

My question is with the emission inspection we have to do here in Az. What action should I take to try and lean it out for testing? Change out the jet or just try leaning out the mixture using the screw?

Thoughts?
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I would rely on the mixture screw rather than change jets each time. Not sure your exhaust system will pass AZ requirements so you may need to put your originals back on when testing. This could present a challenge because the stock exhaust could make your jetting too rich.

Generally speaking if you have to change jets only change the pilot jet for emission testing. Because the main jet does not kick in until near full throttle it is unlikely that an emissions test will go that far. Twist the mixture screw in until the engine stumbles and leave it there until after the test. Whatever you do, don't let a test facility see you reaching under the carb to adjust the mixture. Most regulations call for the mixture screw to be sealed after a factory setting has been reached. While I don't live in AZ nor am I completely familiar with their testing I can only make these assumptions based on vehicle testing in California.