1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV upgrade complete

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Lugnut, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Received & installed CVP premium tuners kit along with Accel petcock, rebuild kit (stayed with the 4 sided float needle) & inlet elbow. Float level spot on & I have 10 gal of 100% gas to help dial in idle mix.
    Cranked right up. No air/fuel leaks @ temp. Not doing the dyno thing till I can locate a reputable operator so I'm doing the plug reading (6 new sets) which is no mystery to me. Been there, done that.
    Raining right now so I've done @ temp, mid RPM idle. 1st initial reading/behavior, lean. Fatten, smoother, shutdown & save the plugs for mid/high throttle chops underload.
    Will get back with some pics of progression.
  2. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

You must have a really close seat, who is the old guy in the pic? lol But really nice looking kid. Can not recall your build but sounds like you have a clue. Reading plugs is an art but time consuming, and fuel is not to consistent factor unless you use THAT fuel only. Looking into purchasing an O2 reading kit with memory , anyone know of a accurate slip up the muffler probe kit for bikes? I do not want to hack the exhaust for a screw in O2 on a bike if not there all ready. It would be OK on street cars. Faster and better info = less wear and tear on equipment.
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

I've had one good day this week to do a throttle chop & it was spent @ work. Tomorrow is rain & the next day is the frozen stuff followed by more rain. SSHHeeesh! Somebody throw me a bone already!
    On the "reputable dyno operator" search, found one but he won't touch the carbureted bikes. Dyno Difference out of Dallas comes highly recommended in the "EFI universe". I have been pointed in the right direction towards another Dyno guy who is just as effective in the "carbureted universe". D&D is a mobile dyno but they won't be in my neck of the woods till March.
    Good luck on that muffler probe kit. Me thinks I shall look into the O2 reader myself. If I find a muffler probe I'll give you a shout.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

It's like 18- 20 degrees out here now and a little snow. Wish I could ride to fine tune NOT dressed like a person on TV from Alaska. Scooter is resting in back room of the house, heated and loving life.
  5. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Ethanol free gas,89 oct. Slow acceleration & stuck it on 50 mph for 175 miles stopping twice to inspect plugs so as to make sure I wasn't "blow torching" the pistons. Not really satisfied with this, can be better. Got some more work to do. IMG_1443.JPG IMG_1443.JPG View attachment 9523 View attachment 9524

Attached Files:

6. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

The plugs look a little on the safe/rich side, what was the mileage? Also do you think a conventional plug might show better? Were the plugs in for the cold start? Can you give us a little more info on the year and modifications on your scoot?
    Lucifer likes this.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Reading plugs isn't easy with today's clean fuel. You need an exhaust analyzer to get it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

>175 miles @ 44 mpg.
    >I'm reconsidering the IR & go to a conventional plug(s) for this phase of tuning.
    >Cold start..yeah. Installed new @ driveway & drove 15/20 mins @ 30/35 mph till I reached hi way then stuck the throttle @ 50 mph for 175 miles.
    >Year & mods are in showcase.

What you didn't see on the plugs was a darker fuel ring cuz I scrubbed the plugs so as to get a better look @ ground strap color change location & to see if that was glazing occurring on the ceramic(it wasn't thankfully)
    & to inspect base of ceramic. I agree with you, I'm running rich, too rich but safe. My fuel mileage sucks for 50mph. I expected high 40s/low 50s for mpg.
    Here's the current jetting.
    46- 2 7/8 turns out
    CVP emu tube with Vel needle.(premium kit) along with accel nozzle.
    190- high.
    Here's something that should enter into equation, The shrink porting & airstack/manifold that gives that excellent cylinder fill @ higher RPMs. It does have that "punch" @ the higher RPM that you can feel.
    Anyway, I used up all the ethanol free gas on that run & have to go across state line to get some more.
    I'm considering going 185 on high jet & duplicating "the run" next weekend.
    Welcome any thoughts on this.
  9. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

I agree. It was a lot easier "back in the day"
    With my current setup, What AFR should I shoot for. I prefer torque over HP along with economy. Cold weather rider that prefers mountains over prairie.
    Me thinks I can hookup with a analyzer in about 2 weeks.
  10. hotroadking

A good tuners will be able to get it into the proper AFR range,

If you want a bit more gas mileage drop the needle one notch (up on the needle, bringing it down so it comes on a bit later.)
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Nice Bike:cool:...Did you try a 45 pilot before you went to the 46??What cam is in it??
    I think good AFR's were in 13.5-13.8 range for best power/mileage is what I was told by some guys with the tools to measure it...so I googled to see if I remembered right....;)

http://www.afrplus.com/AFRplus-unit-functionality.asp
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  12. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Started off with 46 & still have it in.
    EV 27.
    This is where I'm crossing wires. At 50 mph (no tach) ,am I still deep in low circuit or am I in the middle of transition with needle & 46. High is 190. Would it be safe to "assume" that @ 50mph the 46 & needle are joined @ the hip equally?[/quote]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  13. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

This changing the encoding just to post replies is a real poke in the eye:rage:
  14. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

Ran across this while doing some "homework". I think I answered my own question.:bookworm: jet-chart.jpg
  15. hotroadking

16. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

You gotta remember that tjat needle is going to come into play depending on how much vacum the motor starts to pull on the slide if its a healthy head set up it will bring it in very early ! The chart is only a guide to how it works .if your a big dude and a heavy bike you be on the needle pretty early.
  17. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

My engine builder said the same thing now that you bring that up. It's a very healthy head set up complimented with a outstanding intake track. Thanks for jogging my memory on that. I'll definitely enter that as I brainstorm my next move. Thinking about doing 3 20 mile runs @ different throttle positions & reading plugs before I make a determination on the next move. If it were you, what 3 throttle positions/mph would you try? Using 100% gas, no ethanol @ 89 octane. I really don't want to enter WOT position into the equation, not yet.
    I'm not "gravity challenged"...Yet, but the bike put on 45/50 lbs on this last reinvention.
    Hope my questions are making sense here.:confused:
  18. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Just a think, you should tune to the fuel you will use/can find at the pump when riding, not to something you have to chase after, might make for a better end result.
  19. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Lugnut looking at those plugs your not pig rich . Its a tad on the rich side.i would go to 2 rurns and ride again 1/4 throttle and pull the plugs 4 gear cruise .the air fuel screw controls the pilot .idle cruise area
  20. Lugnut

Lugnut Active Member

10-4
    Sunday is sunny & 64 deg. I have exchanged the NGK IR plugs for 12 NGK 7634 so I have plenty of fresh plugs. Got a couple of straight & level roads/hwy's pick out that will accommodate the locked speeds I'll be going.
    Start in the morning & be home in time to burn a few burgers on the grill.
    I'll post some pics of the plugs & this time I won't scrub them.