1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CVP accelerator pump pedestal nozzle??

Discussion in 'Other CV Performance products' started by ESS, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ESS

ESS New Member

I received my nozzle from CVP but it didn't come with any instructions. I can't seem to find anything on the net about it. Written instructions would be best, photos better. :D Or just let me know if I just aim the hole in the same direction as the stock piece. I would think you would but I just want to be sure.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you want the flow to be as close to center in the throat as possible.....
  3. ESS

ESS New Member

The new pedestal has a line on top that's inline with the hole in it. The original pedestal has no marking on top, but the hole points straight back in the slide. Should I angle it to aim towards the center of the slide then? Or point it straight back like the original (more to the right of slide)?
  4. chucktx

i aim to the center............works good for me.....
  5. ESS

ESS New Member

Thanks! That's what I'll do.
  6. chucktx

let us know how it goes for you.....welcome to the forum!
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

8. kenfuzed

There is a typo in that instruction sheet posted on the site. Step 3 #1 states "Position so indexing line is parallel with front float bowl gasket groove". This should read "Position so index line is pointing toward the center of the carburetor throat."

An older version of this accelerator pump nozzle had the index line parallel to the front but was later changed to indicate the direction of the spray. When you look at it hopefully it will be self explanatory but thought I'd note it here just in case. Also the instructions reference an old version produced by Dakota Kid but they no longer support or make the pedestal so disregard that reference. A revision to the instructions will be posted later.
  9. ESS

ESS New Member

Thanks!
  10. ESS

ESS New Member

One more thing. When you tap it in should it fully bottom out in the hole or stick up about 1/16" like in the picture on the instruction page?
  11. kenfuzed

It should bottom out but don't tap in too hard or it could bend/distort the bowl. I believe that picture was taken midway through the installation.

I've now updated the instruction page.
  12. ESS

ESS New Member

Damn.:banghead:I figured something was wrong. I hope I didn't distort the bowl, but when I saw it was still sticking up I hammered a little more and mushroomed the top of the pedestal. I ordered another one yesterday as soon as I saw the mushroom top. Hopefully it will be good with the new pedestal and the bowl is still good. :(
  13. kenfuzed

It's probably okay. If you have the early style with the little needle plunger inside make sure you aren't pinching it inside. That could also cause the pedestal to not want to seat. When I've installed these I use a small piece of wood between the pedestal and hammer to tap in. Lightly tapping will slowly sink the pedestal into place.
  14. chucktx

i have a small 1/4 drive socket...dont remember the size, that slips over the small end and sits on the larger part. i use a small plastic hammer to install it.
  15. phyzzko

phyzzko New Member

When I removed the old pedestal 2 or 3 pieces fell out, hit the floor, and vanished, I managed to find one. I think its the pieces being talked about in STEP TWO #4 Accelerator Pump Nozzle Installation

Can anyone tell me how many little pieces are supposed to be in there, and maybe a picture of what they look like. I have looked at all the exploded diagrams I could find but they dont show them.

'01 XL883C Sportster with stock CV Carb.
  16. kenfuzed

Some us a 2 piece set up with a check ball and tiny slider, others only have the slider. I've seen some people install these without those pieces and still work. The purpose is to prevent excess air from being sucked back into the nozzle as the diaphragm returns.
  17. phyzzko

phyzzko New Member

Thanks for the response, I have the triangle bar that I imagine would be the slider. I guess I'll throw that in and see how it runs, and if that doesnt work Ill take it back off and run it without the slider too.