1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Death to Ghosts!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Finally had time and inclination to trace down these problems I was having with my ride:
    - I had been going through batteries far to often
    - Red (my FLHR) had just stopped once on the highway, then restarted after about a minute
    - Fuel mileage sucked (38ish mpg),
    - Red was leaking oil but I couldn't see from where (besides the carb breather, that is)
    - Throttle response was inconsistent, and sometimes non-existent
    - I kept hearing a ticking noise, but couldn't find the source.

First, it turns out that the wires from the alternator were worn and shorting to the frame, but in such a place that I couldn't see it until the bike was running while high on the lift. Rewired it there, shrink-tubed each lead and then shrink-tubed the pair - that won't happen again. That took care of the ticking noise (it was arcing) and the battery problems.

Next, found where the fuel vacuum line had kinked and developed a small hole in it. Messed around with that, and found that my carb had some corrosion problems that kept being a pain - so I thought "Hmm, this carb was for my 88inch engine, which is now a 95....so screw it!" I'm waiting for my Mikuni 45mm Flatside (today?). That should take care of the fuel issues. Had to get another, new and bigger K&N breather for that, but I can deal with it.

Finally, I figured out that the oil leak was from my inner primary seal. PITA (for me) to get in there, so while there I'm going to put on a Baker 33 tooth clutch sprocket to get the most out of the power upgrade that the carb change/Pingel petcock combo will give. Should lower my RPM at freeway cruising speed around 500 turns...improving mileage and making better use of the extra power. If this works out as well as I think it will, you'll be hearing more about it soon.

So I expect I got all the ghosts out of Ol' Red. Thinking a coast-to-coast summer ride is a good way to be sure.
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good for you, I had to change out the compensator on my 110, the stock one couldn't keep up, so did it, and replaced a wobbly rear shifter connector between the rod and the trans, just did the front one today, got to remember to keep up on those, with 50K on the bike it gets a lot of shifts...

Don't forget to replace the seals its a good idea to freeze the seal before you put it in the back of the inner primary, makes install a bit easier, and be careful pushing it over the inner bearing race on the main shaft.

Don't forget to get new locking tabs for the inner primary bolts (ya don't have to but it's not a bad idea) and plenty of black silly cone to put around the heads of the bolts to keep it dry.

New Primary bolts don't have the locking tabs and have a rubber material under the head to seal, much nicer.

Pingle eliminates that vac line which is good, just remember to shut it off
    when you park...
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  3. Red Rider

Thanks for the tips HRK.
    Dang, still waiting on parts ... now hearing Monday? Of course, the weather's now beautiful:arghh:
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Great to see you online my friend. Yep, after so many miles some things just like to wear out. I sent you an email here in the last week or so. Hope you seen it.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Happens to me more often than I'd like lol. Hope all of your work and new parts do the trick, Red.
  6. Red Rider

:wtf: I guess I messed up and passed the wrong card number when ordering...so I had to reorder carb & sprocket. Too blind, mistook some numbers on a newly reissued card...so back to waiting. Still, wish they'd have told me instead of me having to check with them.

JB- didn't see the e-mail yet, will search for it.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  7. Red Rider

OK, finally got everything done and put 100 miles on at varying speeds, though I will neither confirm nor deny anything above 90MPH....;)

LOVE IT! The Mikuni 45 kind of worried me at first, with the different choke/idle adjustment demands, but it only took a few starts to be second nature - and wow, what a difference over the stock CV. Much better response, cleaner burn, cooler running (due to more air flow, I reckon), and (duh) MORE power.

The 33 spline clutch sprocket is equally as impressive. My Road King is not a bar bike or a red light racer - it is an open road La-Z-Boy on two wheels on which I've spent many 10 - 14 hour day rides, and this change suits my style. If you want to do burn-outs or quarter miles, it may not be for you, but if you ride long and fast it is great. I've already noted that it clearly gives longer range in each gear (as in, 1st gear is good from 0-30ish rather than 0-20ish mph of stock, and so on through the 5 gears), and it really does take almost 500 RPM off of 60mph cruising in 5th. If you cruise rather than drag, don't already have a 6-speed tranny and you've upped your motor over the stock HP, I highly recommend this relatively cheap change. Oh, and it also has made it a lot easier for me to find neutral (always a pain before).

What this all means is I'll really have to road test it in a few months. Think I'll visit California, then head to Maine...planned stops in CO, OH, and coastal NC...probably JB-land, too..li'l summertime coast-to-coast road trip is gonna happen.:cool:
    joshbob and JohnnyBiker like this.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear the carb is a good unit
  9. JohnnyBiker

Cool to hear that you will be getting some real saddle time in. Good job with your ride. Let me know what your plans are, this summer will be hectic for me but I will always make time for you. :cool:
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Goes to show that you don't need to spend a lot of money or make big changes to get a good running scooter.
  11. Red Rider

You know I'd love to visit with you and Hot Rider again, so I'll do my part to get there with you folks. Can't promise (ain't going through tornado weather for no one but my wife and kids), but can promise to try real hard!
  12. JohnnyBiker

Right on. The earlier in the season the better through Tornado Alley. Just a heads up for you, Hot Rider and I will be taking the girls to Disney World at the end of July. We are booking the flight right when we get back from Jamaica.