1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Eh, oh, way to go, Ohio?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Props to the Pretenders ...........so, anyways, it looks like I'll be riding out to Ohio, needing to be outside Columbus on the 10th of August. Ohio turns out to be one of the four US states I haven't been before, so ideas are welcome. Likely going through Colorado on the way out or back (got an ol' shipmate in East CO to see) but don't know if it'll be north or south for the return to NV. Just thought I'd throw it out there....and maybe, JB & HR, you'll be heading West as I do?
    :cheers:
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Per our conversation we can adjust some and meet up in Denver on the 12th of August as that would give me a little more time with my cousin which is actually in Aurora. Then you, Alex and Harleyslr can ride if all goes right and you and I finish the journey together. After the holiday, I will be getting a hold of Troy and seeing what it is that he has going on. Hot Rider and I will be in touch soon to see what it is that is going on with you. LMAO, like you said, I may beat you to your door.:roflmao:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Red Rider

Thanks for the heads-up, HRK. Tips like that are just what I'm looking for. Right now it looks like it'll be a mad run, as I have to get back to NV pretty quick, like two days (wow, that's over a thousand a day? Maybe three makes more sense - I've done back to back 900+'s before and it is not easy on my remanufactured body) and I can't even start the run until the first week of August. Got a wedding I won't miss.

Might have to rethink this travel window. I don't mind going long and fast, but I usually don't HAVE to. Got time now to make the right choice. Doesn't mean I will, but I do have the time!:roflmao:
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Man, I can only dream of going 900 miles a day - it would kill me now. Ohio's got some cool stuff and nice scenery, especially along the Ohio River if you get that far south. I'll be going up there in about 4 or 5 weeks, heading up 250 all the way from Wheeling, W. Va. to Wooster, Ohio, and then straight up 83 to Avon Lake, my destination. I guess our paths will cross, but at different times. I ride 55 to 60 MPH and stick mostly to smaller roads, so I would be way too slow to ride with you anyway, on this ol' bobber of mine.
    Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!
  6. hotroadking

Heck I won't do 900 in a Caddy...
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Me neither, and trying to do 900 on a motorcycle in the heat riding even one up, no thanks. I'd rather plan my trip so my days would be less mileage. However riding by yourself with no other bikes along you could go further but why kill yourself.
  8. Red Rider

Sometimes I just don't want to get out of the saddle. Since I lone ride 99% of the time, I don't worry about having to accommodate others. Sometimes I plan on stopping after 500 or so, and then just don't. Sometimes I just don't like the look of a place I'd planned on stopping, so I keep going. And sometimes I just know I ain't gonna sleep for crap anyway and so I may as well push it till my head bobs and find a rest stop bench (or table) to catch a nap, and then get back to riding. As to killing myself, well, I'm in congruence with what Mr. J. Buffet said in my sig line.

Come to think of it, there are many, many more reasons why I go farther. The thing about this trip in particular is that I never planned a day's ride to go over 900 miles, it just happened. Planning for it and HAVING to do it is not in my happy place. That would take a lot of the fun out of it.
  9. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I agree with ya on most of ya points. Recent club trip to Laconia a few times there was way too much time wasted on a few guys discussing their GPS 's and routes for scenic rides. I was gonna kick some asses. I finally split off on my own to just ride and enjoy wherever the roads led. Two others joined me and we had a ball while the main group stuck to their effin GPS dictated routes. Sure they got to where they wanted to end up but for me I'd rather just ride and enjoy getting lost and un lost. " Get rid of the watches" JMO
  10. Fatboy128

11. hotroadking

We do that, called it a fuggarwee, everyone would stop and someone would ask

where da fug are wee.....

I've done 600+ while I could go more
    it just wasn't worth the risk, plus a warm bed
    cigars and scotch were calling....

Have a good trip, I'd give it another day,
    ya need some wiggle room, who knows ya
    might find a gal that wiggles for your room...
  12. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Red, if you're crossing the middle of Ohio thru Columbus, you will ride through Amish country, a lot of which is on the eastern side of the state. They have the best farms and countryside views. I lived in Ohio during my formative years. The big cities like Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati I personally would avoid, especially the inner city sections. Been there, done that in all three.
  13. Red Rider

Curious as to what point you don't agree with...or do ya just not want to be too agreeable.;)

Appreciate the "Wild Hogs" reference! I did loose the watch when I retired from the USN in 2004, but I have a clock on the bike so I don't wait too long to find a place to stay, if I'm staying. When I know I can't ride late, (too tired or such) I like to start thinking about a stop before places fill up, usually before 1900 local. Without it, I tend to loose track of time when I go for long runs. I don't change it for time zones, just do the math for the location.

All that said, I don't think I'll make it out to Columbus, at least not this time. An eleven-hundred plus ride in one day just is not something I want to plan to do. I may do another, but not by planning on it. I like to ride at the pace of the day, whatever it may be, and not require a pace - or even a hard itinerary. But if I can cut it to 600 a day, it's a go.
    Semper Gumby!

Cheers! (the smiley function seems to be whacked)
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  14. FLHTbiker

Yea know I have a GPS that came with the bike but I would rather not use one. Ask Maddog, we were headed up to the Trail in NC and were told the route and he turns off all of a sudden. Said his GPS told him to, :roflmao: we wound up 40 miles out of our way and I kept telling him were headed back to DC :gah: and finally an old southern Baptist Minister routed us the right way. GPS can get you in trouble for sure. However to get out of DC to head for NC that GPS saved our bacon. Don't like big cities like that.
    Your right, loose the watch and enjoy the ride. :)

As for really Long days, after awhile fatigue can set in and that's when you can make mistakes. Better to set realistic distances. Sometimes I to have said to myself, to early to stop. Maddog and I did that last year a couple times coming back up from AZ.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Do what you do. Looking forward to riding with you. A privilege always! You have enough riding under the buckle to teach even the greenest of greenhorns. Ride baby!!! :cool:
  16. hotroadking

the key on GPS is the settings,

I was on a route up back roads through GA,
    damn thing kept trying to run me 100 miles west to I75
    finally turned off interstates and that crap stopped.
  17. Fatboy128

I prefer maps when touring. I prefer GPS in the cage when I have to get somewhere, BUT, I still refer a map to add to the GPS experience.
  18. FLHTbiker

Me to, young family with no experience on GPS followed one, one winter. Thought they was taking a shorter route over the coast mountains to get to the coast. Shorter all right and it killed the husband when after they got stuck in the snow and he tried walking out. Found him next spring. Maps are great, the GPS is best in the city, sometimes but even then it will take yea on a gravel road.
  19. Red Rider

You folks idea of GPS ain't the same as mine. You're likely using those route guide GPS thingies: I use my Rhino 520 for lat/long and then look at the map, so I don't use mine while riding. It's not a snob thing, its just that I like seeing the bigger picture on maps than the tiny screens. Heck, mine's loaded with topo maps for hunting, anyway. The 520 is also a portable CB, so I can use that function, too.

Routing GPSs get people killed in most of Nevada. I've known people routed onto roads that haven't existed in decades, and to ghost towns that closed 30 years ago and more. The data for a lot of systems is getting better, but it ain't all there yet.
  20. hotroadking

It's just a tool. You have to be a little smarter than just to trust it

Mine tried to route us over a mountain gravel road in NC. We were smart e nought to turn around.

You still have to use your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk