1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Electrical problem

Discussion in 'Projects' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 6, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Wifes Harley trike left turn signals quit working (front and rear). Checked the switch and got power in and when you push the turn signal switch I get a light on the test light. Checked wiring and connectors. Only thing I can think of is the Turn signal relay. Just got to find it, got late gave up and came in at 10:30 for dinner. :witsend:
  2. FLHTbiker

Problem is the turn signal modual. $114.00 at the dealer, have to order but found one at a southern Oregon dealer. On its way. Now I understand it has to be married to the bike on a PC. Anyone ever don that.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

man that sounds llike a mess......does it have led lights??? hard to believe that the turn signals are tied into the pc. hope ya get it worked out.......
  4. FLHTbiker

Yep, they are tied into the puter system. What ever happened to the simple turn signal relay flasher. :rolleyes: If you don't Marry the new one to the bike it won't start.:cussing:
  5. chucktx

that really sucks!!!!!!!!!! does the manual give you the right to be a clergy in the state of Oregon?????:)
  6. FLHTbiker

Dealer said they have to put it on a puter and go through all the steps and then charge us the 1 hour labor of 99.00. What a racket :banghead:
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

did he point his gun at you when he told you to bend over :D
  8. FLHTbiker

He said you can install it yourself but it won't start. I looked at the guy and told him, now that would make a lot of sense cause then I would have to load it in a trailer and bring it in. :gah: They don't care, more money for them. Trust me if there was something I could do I would do it myself
  9. chucktx

does it start the way it is????

i put a set of led sigs on the chobber, i had to buy a special box for them. did a bit of wiring and it works. was wondering if you changed your lites to led, used the box and left the harley stuff in tact, could ya still go down the road???? just thinking on how to get around the constant outlay of money when the sigs give it up........????????
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

When I put the Screamn Eagle ignition on my bike there was sequence of off an on with the ignition switch signal light and some other stuff I had to do to make it work, if I remember right CV Performance web site had something on how to do it, I got’er done first try. Maybe something like that is what you would have to do with the new flasher. Makes me think I’ll just keep the ole “05” that I have and forget about a new bike.
  11. FLHTbiker

The signal lights on the trike are built into the body and I think re-doing the wiring for the turn signals would be harder than just replacing the ECM.
  12. steveb

steveb Active Member

every year H-D comes out with new twists that make it harder for the guy in his garage to work on them .Just like the new cars.
  13. chucktx

ok, was just thinkin with my keyboard................
  14. FLHTbiker

Yea I know and replacing the ECM is not what's pissing me off its not being able to do the computer work myself to merry the dang thing to the bike. :cussing:
  15. chucktx

that is what i figured.......would upset me also!!!!!!!!!!
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The TSSM and the ECM are married,
    one hour at $99 sounds steep, it's about a 15 min job.

Call around and see what another dealer will
    do it for.. Trailer it over there, negotiate, etc.

Shouldn't cost you more than $20, now an hour to remove the old one and
    install the new one and program might be close...

It's part of the security system and has to be setup...
  17. FLHTbiker

This whole thing has got me really upset that I have to use them. By the time I trailer it to a different dealer and all I would probably be into it for more. The bike runs so I will have the wife ride it down there with the new part in hand and if I am available to go I'll pull it out, insert it and they can program it there. Course they will have to push it and then probably charge us for a tow charge :rant:
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Just another way for the dealer to scalpe ya- Had that happen to me last year when my Clutch nut backed off and trashed the tranny - was sittin in the drive of the dealer and they pushed it back to the shop and charged me $300 for a tow. Then said $800 to fix the tranny. Got my trailer and towed it out of there to my local indy and it cost me $400 to get it fixed with new andrews gears.:cussing:
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Man, what a nightmare . . . I took my wide glide lower legs to the local Harley dealer with the seals stuck inside. They wanted to charge me an hours labor ($70) minimum just to remove the old seals. I didn't think that was reasonable, so I said no way. Took 'em over to a motorcycle accessory shop and they had the seals out in minutes and didn't charge me anything, so I bought my new seals from them. Been doing business with them ever since.
    But back to your original electrical problem. This is why I have wired my scooter without modules of any kind. Too complicated for this ol' brain, and when they blow, they cost a fortune to replace. We are at the mercy of the Harley dealers, though they seldom show any (mercy, that is). So I try to steer clear of them if at all possible. In this case, I know that's not an option for you. I can only empathize and hope you get it fixed without it costing an arm and a leg . . .
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010