1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Evo Engines

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, May 10, 2016.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Are these engines any different in terms of top end disassembly than a Twin Cam? I may be changing some base gaskets on a friend's bike. Have never touched an Evo before. Thanks.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same except when you get to the cam cover,on an Evo the cam cover is part of the structure,not just a cover like on a twinkie,you have to release the valve spring pressure before you take it off.
    Get metal base gaskets(Cometic is what I used) and tell your buddy to warm up an Evo before you take off or he'll/you'll be doing them again in the not too distant future.
    I'd leave it alone if gaskets are just weeping,but when the weep turns into a leak,then you get on it...
    Rocker boxes are 3 piece instead of two. Pushrods have a particular order and if color coding is still on them from rear exhaust is Purple Blue Yellow and front exhaust is Green...."Pussy Brings You Grief "is the phrase I memorized to remember color coding lol.
    Service manual is a good tool to have...;)
  3. JohnnyBiker

Cool.. Yeah it's his bike and most likely doesn't have a service manual for the bike. I noticed after I changed his oil he did not let his bike warm up before riding. Not good.
  4. JohnnyBiker

So you said order? Meaning that when they are reinstalled they have to go back on a specific order or just make sure the correct one returns to the correct lobe?
  5. Lucifer

Correct one in correct tube/lobe
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

just like a woman, if you put the wrong rod
    in the wrong tube it might get hurt, bent or
    you'll hear a scream....
  7. Lucifer

Wrong rod in wrong tube could cost ya a bundle too...lol

JB, What year bike,how many miles??Bagger or Softail?Does it leave it's mark when parked or is the case getting dirty??
  8. JohnnyBiker

No it isn't marking its spot. The bike is a dyna.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Not sure on the miles.
  10. Lucifer

If it's not marking it's spot,I'd wait,it's a lotta work just for a weeping gasket,new set of lifters and a B138 if it still has the INA bearing in it,then might as well give it a shave and a cam ...hehe...tell him to clean it and warm up the bike before hammering it...
  11. JohnnyBiker

This guy isn't interests in performance all that much so I would stay away from the cams. This bike is DIRTY!
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just a bit of advice before working on a bike for someone, you need to be sure that person knows you are not a trained licensed dealer tech, and that what you are willing to do is to help them get the job done, and advise them on how to do it, and you might assist. Also that you can't guarantee it's going to be perfect but you're willing to do it if they understand that, and that you can't be responsible if it leaks again or something goes to shidt.

You have to know the person when you do this stuff, I have a few friends I'll help, and certain ones I'll never help. Some understand I can do this stuff in my sleep but i'm not a trained dealer tech, others will hound your butt to kingdom come over anything.

Only once did I break that rule because a friend couldn't get his bike running right and the dealer and an indy shop couldn't fix it. I found the problem they missed, and fixed it, he was happy.

Just saying know the customer, know your limits and layout the deal before starting so everyone knows whats expected. He's saving $$$ in labor but you
    don't want to become his wrench for life.
  13. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Soap is cheap. Hate dirty,sloppy lookin bikes.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  14. Lucifer

Very good advice HRK
  15. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Yes it's very true HRK.When Carl(a friend of mine I reached out to) got finished assembling my basket case and we started the engine for the first time there was no oil presure after trying a few thing still no oil presure.I said we have to go in and take a look at the oil pump Carl did'nt want to do it because he's worked on shovels and evo's and not twin cams.We read the manual a couple of times and open it up found out some one had been in there and assembled the oil pump gerotors wrong we put it back together and it was fixed and it was a good feeling too we both learn alot that day..