1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Exhaust wrap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 8, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have some questions about exhaust wrap. I think that I may put some on to help cure the problem that I having. I am wondering if putting this stuff on will decrease the outside temp. of the pipes drastically enough that I would be able to put my legs a little more straddled to the bike? As of now with no heat wrap or shields, I have to be further out on the peg so I do not burn myself. Also I am wondering which is the better stuff to purchase?
  2. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I didn't realize just how much heat is deflected away by the heat sheilds until I had them off for powder coating. I can't say how well the wrap works but I would do one or the other.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Abby just put it on her bike and can better answer your questions. Saw her pics and she did a nice job on it.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Works well,

You can buy it at any autoparts store,

search exhaust wrap here
    Abby had asked and we put up some answers
    and instructions...
  5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

I'm glad someone started this thread. It involves an question I have always had about exhaust wraps and their use.

Why?

Aesthetically I think it looks like sin. But more to the point, most air-cooled engines have a heat sweet spot. Granted, this has become less important with CPU engine management, but is it necessary at all?

As for burning yourself, wouldn't traditional shields provide enough of a buffer?
  6. hotroadking

Exhaust wrap does keep the temps in, they will get hot, it's an air cooled engine
    and it's right under your leg...

By keeping the heat in the exhaust it helps flow and improves savaging of exhaust
    gasses...

So there is a performance improvement as well.

Some like the looks, some do not, on the "older" looking bikes
    it looks good, or if the theme of the bike is hot rod, JMO of course..
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Johnny is this on you new pipes? or the one you going to replace so you can keep your foot on the peg anyway without replacing the brake pedel , the heat wrap will help on the keeping your foot claser / looks are not the same
  8. The Tourist

9. cowboy

Not sure where the wrap started , but I seen it for the first time at the drag strip on hot rods with hoods on them to help keep the heat down back in the earley 70's & again it's up to the them if they want to /or think it looks cool it's there ride
  10. hotroadking

Thats why they make different kinds of bikes
    for different folks...
  11. The Tourist

Now, there we agree. It's the owner's bike and he can do with it what he wants. Some purists feel I use too much chrome. To each his own.

Perhaps it has a racing pedigree, and the owner wants to use that styling on the street. But to be fair, I've also seen bags of ice on the top of 5.0 Mustangs between drag races to cool down motors.

I didn't like dull denim paint when I first saw it, either. We have a new Fat-Boy parked in our local showroom with denim, and matte' finish chrome pieces. I thought it looked striking, so maybe there's hope for me yet.:D
  12. cowboy

LMAO yep there's hope , I was'nt to fond of the flat paint at first guess it grows on ya
  13. The Tourist

In a strange twist of irony, that same Fat-Boy pops up on Harley's title page of their website.

As for wrap, doesn't Exile use it on their customs?
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've been told that even the lightest scratch makes that denim paint really look bad and it can't be polished out. I to never cared much for it. I always thought that it looked like they put primer on it and forgot to paint it.

But different strokes for different folks. :)
  15. The Tourist

I've heard about upkeep issues myself. But to be fair, I've never seen a bike that was badly worn or scratched. I have been keeping an eye on Iron 883s as I might change out my 48 fuel tank in the future. If it wears over time, I might consider a Nightster tank. (Or just add a new Nightster, but don't tell my wife, I'll just hide it.)
  16. hotroadking

buddy has the flat black RG
    it looks good, then again I like the wrapped pipes, flat black or primered hot rod look

[​IMG]

I like the rat rods look (not so much the rat bike), they have to me the style and substance of a hot rodder a car or bike done by a guy or with some friends help, late at night, one man garage with a single made lift, some self made parts, bolt on parts from other stuff like using a trailer fender for a rear bike fender...

[​IMG]
  17. The Tourist

Now, the wrap on that bobber looks good. Just enough chrome, subtle addition of the tape. Nice clean build.

Maybe that's my problem. The wrap jobs I've seen look like rat bikes.
  18. JohnnyBiker

Cowboy, you are right on buddy, that is exactly what it is that I am doing. I am going to wrap the pipes for a few reasons. 1. You are right, I am too far out on the peg, this way I can bring it in and maybe not have to get a new pedal made, although I may still need to do it, just not sure at this point. 2. Tourist, sorry man, I would have to disagree with almost everything you said. from all the sites that I have looked up regarding the wrap, it does improve performance, not real noticeable, but still an improvement, although no sites indicate by how much. 3. Tourist, I would have to agree that at first when I seen wrap I did not like the looks of it either, however, I am willing to sacrifice look (to a point) for functionality and performance. And to be honest, I think the wrap will add to the look of my bike. It fits.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Exile was the first bike that I saw the wrap on that I thought looked good. It was an Exile Barhopper that I was considering buying. It also had the Bassani Pro Streets on it. :cool:
  20. cowboy

Johnny your in a win -win situation , you can keep your foot closser to the brake & keep it all cooler go for it, safety first when it comes to riding :cool: