1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ez just adjustment

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by klunker, Jun 20, 2008.

1. klunker

klunker New Member

Hi, just purchased ez just mixture screw. Backed out 2 turns now started bike and trying to adjust. Have idle set at 900.I don,t seem to hear the bike stumble while adjusting. Turned screw in so out 1 turn and rpm dropped about 40 rpm , turning back out I get past my original 2 turns and rpm drops a little. can,t notice any pronounced stumble. I have a 45 slow jet that harley mechanic had put in when he put dyna jet carb kit in. Any ideas, thanx,,klunker
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Maybe "stumble" isn't the right word and doesn't apply to everyone. turn the screw in until the idle starts to dip, then back it out a 1/8th - 1/4 turn. That should be the sweet spot you are looking for.
  3. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

I have the same problem....the rpm doesn't dip and any adjustment has NO EFFECT on the bike's idle AT ALL.... O ring is there as well as the spring and washer. I can screw it all the way in and ride it...runs fine...screw it all the way out...ride it and it is fine. I probably could remove it all together and it will respond just fine... what is up with this?
  4. kenfuzed

Its possible that your idle (pilot) jet is a size too large. Also make sure that your enrichener (aka choke) is seating or closing completely before making the adjustment.
  5. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

I replaced the "45" pilot jet (the previous owner had already added a jet kit) with a 42. Now I get response from the EZ just..screw it in and the engine stumbles..screw it out and the idle increases. I initially turned it out 2.5turns and rode the bike...it stumbled and coughed and backfired on deacel. So, I turned it out another 1/2 turn and it was better...di d the same-1/2 turn. The bike now is fine off of idle and rarely backfires on deace. For some reason I felt the "45" jet made the bike run betterand smootherl At least I can adjust the carb now.
  6. kenfuzed

Taking a wild guess (works better than a crystal ball) I'd guess you have either a 883 or 1200 sportster if you are running fine on a #42. To get things really dialed in I would next look into a different slide needle. Otherwise you should be just fine with those settings.
  7. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

update...yes, I have a 2006 1200 Sportster... I bought the kit from Harley performance...replaced the slide needle and enlarged the offset hole. Since I replaced the 45 with a 42, the bike just doesn't run well. It doesn't sputter, backfire on deaccel, but with about 1/4 throttle and a constant steady speed at about 30-35 (or slightly faster) the bike feels as though it is surging and is not smooth...I got power upon throttle up (due to accel pump) and it is smooth, but at steady pace it feels as though it is stumbling and is surging and NOT smooth. This is not a comfortable feeling... I removed a plug after a highway ride and the insulator is a slight off white color. Also, start-up when cold with choke fully pulled out, the bike sputters in deaccel..when it warms up it is gone. I am seriously thinking about putting the 45 back in because it was much smoother and not surging. Any thoughts?
  8. CD

CD Guest

When I designed the EZ-Just I changed the taper and tip length some to allow for a more linear adjustment of the idle mixture. After a whole lot of testing with Dynojet we settled on the current taper. This means that proper jet sizing is more critical than with the stock taper and length. If a #42 is too small try a #44 from Drag (DS289317) the 45 is probably going to be to large.

If you fully close the idle misture screw and have no drop off and you know the idle speed is set correctly (butterfly is not exposing the transfer port) and there are no intake leaks (all to common on our intake design) then you are too big on the pilot jet. If it tends to stumble, run rough or hesitate when opening the throttle no matter how far out the screw is you are one need to go up a size. Slow and small changes are the key. It takes a second or two for the change to take effect so wait between changes.

Also, don't chase plug color by the old plug charts as once the lead was removed the old tan we looked for is not the same. If you get a chocolate / tan look you are too fat. You want to see color but not a lot of color. My 2KRK MM EFI showed very little color when the dyno showed perfect F/A ratio and I got no pings or rattles and was at over 100ft lbs and 100hp and still pulled 40 mpg unless I was going over 85 then it was all downhill. ;) from there.
  9. kenfuzed

Hi phlsphyguy, I sent you a PM the other day about your jetting. The kit includes a #44 pilot jet so that is where you should start. Shoot me back a message (PM) once you have that installed.
  10. bigalturk1

bigalturk1 New Member

It sounds like you he may have a vacuum leak at the manifold.
  11. pdorman

pdorman New Member

Makes me ponder my re-jet and Ez-Just install

Recap:
    1998 1200C bought used with 11K miles and straight drag pipes and a K & N airfilter. Bike ran like crap and sputtered and popped, the seller stated he put the drags on and was going to have the carb re-jetted but didn't get around to it before I bought the bike. He was the second owner of the bike and not very mechanical (paid to have his oil changed and had no Idea the bike had a K&N filter because he never took off the ham can).

Mission: Get the bike running better or go back to my 80 hp 88 Super Magna.
    1: Got the bike home and looking it over for leaks (vacuum,oil and so on), all was good.
    2:Noticed the plug already removed from carb, so I know someone had been adjusting before I got the bike. Tried adjusting but could not get results.
    3: Buy jet kit and Ez-just assuming the bike is under jetted do to the drags and K&N.
    4: Also pulled the Cycle Shack drags and put the stock pipes back on with the addition of a set of Cycle Shack slip-ons.
    5: Started my carb work pulling the bottom off while still on the bike and after further investigation of the pilot jet.... :confused: a 48 pilot was in the freakin thing. There went my running lean theory.
    6: At this point I grab the 45 from the kit a slapped it and the Ez-just ( had to use a couple wraps of teflon tape because Ez was a little lose) started with 2 turns out from a slightly seated position.
    7: Fired the bike up and noticed right away it seemed to act better. Let her warm up while checking for leaks and double checking i had all screws and parts in the right order. Much better throttle response and overall driveability.
    Pretty much happy with the bike now but still have an occasional sputter when the bike is not fully warmed up. My pondering part is, I've noticed the bike smells like it's running rich and my riding buddies have commented on the same thing about it burning their eyes when they are following me. Maybe my 45 is too much and I should try a 44 or just keep it this way and just ride.
    Should I adjust the Ez in a little bit to try to lean her up a little ???

Thanks
    Phil
  12. kenfuzed

Hi Phil,

I don't recall if you mentioned what size main jet you were using but you could try to go down to the smaller size of the two included. At 2 turns out on the EZ-Just I would say your pilot jet is about perfect, but if you feel like tinkering you could try out the #44. I would also check your plugs to see if they are carbon fouled.

Other than choking out your buddies with fumes, have you noticed your MPG dropping off?
  13. pdorman

pdorman New Member

Stock main

Sorry I didn't mention the main, it is stock. My MPG's are around 43 to 45, with my aggressive riding style, I didn't think that was too bad. I really don't want to jack with the jet again if I don't have to, I just thought maybe fine tuning with the Ez-just might be the ticket if I was real close with jetting. My plugs look fine by the way. With the k&n and the CS slip-on mods, I assumed it to need a 45 pilot, I guess I should of maybe tried a 42 and then went from there...??
    Thanks
  14. kenfuzed

Sounds like you're alright. I wouldn't mess with it if your mpg and all else is running fine. If you were running overly rich your plugs would start to show it.
  15. pdorman

pdorman New Member

I think you are right, I just filled up and had 108 miles on the odometer and could only squeeze 2.3 gallons.. That's 46.95 MPG and take that all day long.

Thanks for everyone's input and help.
    Phil
  16. Lttle Rick

Lttle Rick New Member

Hey Bros....I just received my Stage 1 Kit. I replaced the jets as recommended for Big Sucker and V&H pipes. I think they were 45 and 180. I have to back the EZ Just out 6 or 7 turns for the bike to idle. It this normal? Any suggestions?
  17. kenfuzed

Double check to make sure that the tiny o-ring (above the spring and EZ-just) didn't get tweaked or cocked sideways as that might obstruct flow in the inner passage. Another thing to check is if you installed the larger of the two jets.

Also make sure you have your idle speed up above 950 before setting the mixture. Having the idle speed too low makes tuning harder to find that idle sweet spot.
  18. pdorman

pdorman New Member

Ken,
    I've been using a 45 I bought from a local shop before I got your kit and still seem to be a little rich. I too fail to get stumble or changes when screwing it in all the way. Since I didn't use the 45 from your kit. Would you have a 44 that I could swap you for the 45 I bought from you??? I have thought about adjusting the ez all the way in and drive it a bit but not sure if that would do anything. I'll be honest, the bike runs pretty good and only have a little back firing issues mainly when riding and shutting down for a couple of minutes then starting again. It sounds like a gun shot when first starting but seems to be fine after. I guess it's too much fuel left in the carb... I know you're much more in tune with the CV carb so maybe I need to leave well enough alone. Would you try the 44 if you were me?? Thanks for the help and I love the EZ

Phil
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  19. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Also make sure the bike is warmed up before setting the idle.