1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ez-just confused

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by bugsy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. bugsy

bugsy New Member

i bought a complete tune kit with one of the ez-just, it always fit a little loose so i put teflon on it and it seemed to help , coming home from work the bike started to spit and sputter and stall so i pulled over to take a look and found out the screw fell out, so i didnt know what to do, so to get the bike to run to get it back home i took a piece of electric tape and shoved it up in the hole where the ez-is supposed to be ,because if i didnt the bike wouldnt run and for the life of me cant figure out why the bike runs like ahundred times better,im talking i can be in second at 2 thousand rpms and open the throttle all the way and the tires start spinning i was never able to do that, could somthing have been wrong with the ez just? the bike doesnt run rich or anything?:banghead:
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The needle tip of the EZ-Just or original mixture screw acts to meter the correct amount of air mixed with fuel for the idle and off-idle circuit. With the screw removed air is drawn in through the large hole where the screw is missing, thus causing an intake leak. Covering that hole allowed the mixture to still be added but is probably dumping fuel into the intake at an uncontrolled rate. I don't recommend running for any prolonged period like that, though it is the best way to keep the bike running temporarily to get you out of a jam.

A couple of times per year I hear about CV carburetors where the EZ-Just fits very loose. This is the exception, as most (99.9%) find that the EZ-Just has a snug fit. Teflon tape has been the best method for keeping the screw in place when a loose fit is encountered. The fault lies with the carburetor itself and how they were manufactured. Discussed here in the past, when Keihin manufactured these there were actually several oversized mixture screws kept on the assembly line to account for units that were either out of spec or inadvertently tapped twice. To accommodate for this with our EZ-Just, I have the thread pitch sized so it is at it's maximum for the 99% without seizing but there is still those who find this too loose even with the tension of the spring.

In approximately 2 to 2.5 weeks I will be doing another run of EZ-Justs. At that time I can attempt to bump up the thread pitch to see if we can get you something a little snugger for your carburetor. Please send me an email with your order information so I can check in with you about this.
  3. bugsy

bugsy New Member

let me know what the email address is so i can send you my info, what type of order info do you need, because i bought the deluxe kit about a year ago, and just ordered another ezjust with a v ductor i wanted to try out, could the ezjust being loose cause a slight vacume leak, then when i pluged it up it sealed it giving me the extra power i experienced?
    im running a 48 with a 185 in jets , on a 1340 evo,i have the arlen ness big sucker,
    vance hinse hs, with a crane hi 4 ignition,other then that the motor is stock,and rite now and still cant get any ajustment on carb, i hope that it was the needle, thanks again
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I emailed but didn't see a reply so I've sent out a replacement screw and packing kit in case that was lost as well.