1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Finally finished all the mods on my 04 Sportster

Discussion in 'Projects' started by oldman1, Mar 2, 2008.

1. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Well guys/gals, I finally finished all the modifications on my 04 Sportster. I really tore into it over the winter months while I had it in my living room, and finally got her back on the road. I must say everything went absolutely perfect and it now runs probably better than new. Some of the additions and repairs I did are as follows:

Replaced both rear shocks to 12 1/2 inches, I didn't like the shorties.
    Replaced front headlight with Harley nacelle, Just like the enclosed look.
    Replaced pitted fender struts, Speedometer houshing, rear turn signals, mirrors, timing cover, and grips.
    Added new style harley solo seat with seperate passenger seat.
    Added chrome gas tank console, side cover wing tips, Harley security alarm with siren, rear LED turn signal supports, front standard Harley sliders, gas cap, derby cover.
    I took off the original Harley air cleaner housing and cover and replaced it with a brand New Harley 03 chrome cover, filter, backplate, and breather bolts.
    I completely rebuilt the carburetor with all new stock Harley parts. Went back to stock 42 and 170 jets, installed new ez just mixture screw.
    Replaced intake gaskets, spark plug cables, went back to the stock exhaust pipes with all new gaskets and clamps, and replaced throttle cables.
    Of course I changed the oil, and fork oil.
    I only had to do slight tweaking of the mixture screw to get a perfect air/fuel flow, no backfires at all at idle or take-off.
    I kind of like the vintage look and wanted to keep things as stock as possible. Below are some photos of the completed project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Nice job Oldman. I likes. I should be getting pics of my 05 up soon, she ain't quite as shiny as yours LOL. I am more pleased to hear you got rid of that spit and sputter than anything. Believe that was the first we heard from you was asking how to do that. Glad it is over and all is well in Sporty land.

You wouldn't have a orginal set of shock and aircleaner cover for sale would ya? :D
  3. HARLEY GRT R

HARLEY GRT R New Member

Really Nice Job >>> Like Herein Guys That Do Their Own....:D
  4. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Thanks for the complement wvak47 and HARLEY GRT R.

Sorry wvak47, I sold all the parts on ebay as fast as they were taken off. It helped defray cost on the new parts. I'd really like to see your's when it's done. Yeah that spitting, backfiring, and popping drove me nuts as this was my first experience with a Harley. I bought it used with 7800 miles on it and the first owner put on slash, open pipes, screamin eagle air cleaner, and messed up the carb with jets that were too rich. It looked as if it never was serviced since the guy had it, and was running so rich that the smell of raw gas from the exhaust was choking me, not to mention the loud noise from open pipes. I was determined to put it back as new, and fix it myself, since I've serviced my own bikes for over 40 years. First thing I did was pick up all 3 original Harley manuals, service, parts, and electrical and read them all before starting out. Then I took off all the add-ons, replaced all fluids, and put the engine back to original condition. I had to have a starting point. After that I added on to customize it the way I liked it but kept the engine and carb all stock. The only change I made having to do with the engine was changing to the 03 air cleaner assembly, as I didn't like the way the 04 looked or worked. The backplate on the 04 was flimsy and I didn't like that air scoop part of it. The 03 looked more beefy and had a vintage look to it.
    I'm convinced after all this that most problems with the Sportster have to do with add-ons or mods to the carb or engine, and general maintenance. I've learned a ton from the Harley manuals and am convinced they are a must for any trouble shooting or attempted repair of the bike. I was determined to do it all mysef because of all the horrer stories I've heard or read about of dealer's screwing up other's bikes, not to mention the high cost of their labor. Also it doesn't help the owner of the bike if you never know what or how something was done, you end up married to the service dept. I must say it was all challenging and fun and now I wouldn't own anything but a Harley.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Well oldman you did good , your bike look's old & new at the same time I to think the sporty popin & spiting comes from someone messing with the carb as my daughters 04 does it , I have most of gone , but it still has a small bit to go to get read of it , She likes the sound from the SE pipes , so I'am going to try some different jets & go from there
  6. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Thanks Cowboy, hope you get your daughter's bike running good also.
  7. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

A few more photo's of my 04 Sportster. enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Ah Man see how you do me. Selling your goods on ebay and not telling me :roflmao: .

That funky scoop on the 04 AC was done away with by the Screamin Eagle Stage I on mine. I too think that scoop looks like poop, but I also don't care much for the ham can. My next one will be a 1937 model Linkert popoff that I will modify to work on my CV. Waiting on pay day to order it.

There are a few pics of progress on mine in my thread. I am really slackin on getting new pics up though as it has been inventory time here at work and that has taken a lot of my time. Inventory is over, OT is in, money is on the way and it is ON now. New tires mounted and balanced Friday and she should be haulin my big butt by Sunday afternoon (Lord and weather permitting) I have been known to ride in snow before though LOL.
  9. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Hey wvak47 I did check out your photo's of the progress on your bike, looks like its coming along nice. You've done quite a bit since I saw your bike when you first got it. It takes time but well worth it in the end.

I was going to go riding today, yesterday it was 70 and sunny, but today its 32 and snowing. Crazy weather here.
  10. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

That's Real Nice Work, Looks Real Good. Was That Factory Paint, I Like That Red.
  11. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Thanks SPORSTERBOY. Yes the Red is factory paint. Its called Real Red by the factory.
  12. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Thanks, I have put in an hour or two on it LOL. Weather here was perfect to ride, as the 60+ bikes I saw on my drive told me. No wheels no ride :gah: but the sunroof open was close. Perfect here again today but even if the bike was together I still would be at work. Time and a half until punchout tomorrow. Not missing a minute of that no matter how dang pretty it is outside LOL. Baby needs shoes :D ME880s to be exact LOL.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow oldman, that looks great!!!!! i love the old retro look you have achieved, along with the subtle upgrades like the led's in the tail/turnsignals....mighty fine job you have done.....be proud!!!!!!:)
  14. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Thanks chucktx, I appreciate the complement. One thing I like about Harley's is that there are so many things you can do to it to personalize it to one's taste.
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sweet ride there!
  16. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

Thanks Red Rider.
  17. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Oh sure..
    The bike is clean, but what does the living room look like now :D
  18. oldman1

oldman1 New Member

I only had minimal cleaning to do, plastic sheets do wonders.