1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

forward controls . . .

Discussion in 'Projects' started by joshbob, Sep 3, 2015.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Just finished modifying my forward controls. I fabbed up a new bracket on the left side to replace the rocker clutch bracket. I hated that rocker clutch that I let Tattoo talk me into. The right side peg and bracket were l 001 (640x480).jpg 003 (640x480).jpg lowered. So, I'm back to the suicide clutch set up using rocker clutch parts LOL. All in all, the footpegs now sit 2 1/2" further forward and about an 1 1/2" lower. Ya'll can see how much went into the project by the pictures.

I also lowered the front end 2" and the ol' sickle really leans easy into the curves now.

Also in this project, I rebuilt the top end of my tranny and now she shifts like greased lightning.
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Nicely done JB. Up and running?
  3. joshbob

Yup - I took her out for a short ride yesterday and all is well. Will go for a longer ride today before school, maybe see Tattoo. He was impressed at the work I did - I hardly had to consult him about a thing.

The pedals now look like the roads around here - curvy and very retro LOL. The clutch pedal works like the clutch pedal in my old '50 GMC pickup. It takes a bit more effort to operate it, but I'm happy with it.

Next upgrade will be a set of Baker N1234 tranny gears. They were originally designed for racers, but jockey shifters have found that they are ideal for locating neutral, which is in the straight back position normally occupied by first gear.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  4. joshbob

Dang main seal (I think) is leaking again in the tranny. Just put in a new James seal a couple of months ago. At least it's not bad enough to be slinging oil on the rear tire or wheel. Of course, I will have to take the clutch and sprocket/chain off to have a looksee. Funny thing is, I detect 4 to 5 oil drips under the frame, some of them AHEAD of the seal, after riding. No drips while the bike is sitting still.

The other day, I drained the 75/90 synth oil out and replaced with 18 oz. of 85/135 dino oil. The leak slowed down considerably with the heavier oil - and now leaves a thin sheen of oil on the frame and around where the seal is. I did this so I can ride while the weather is still nice.

If the leak doesn't worsen until I get my Baker gears, I'll wait till then and take the tranny out and do everything at once. There is a spacer available that has an 0-ring that I'll be getting to upgrade the old spacer with. All the shovel guys are using this spacer now, as it eliminates the built-in 4-speed tranny oil leak Harley never addressed.
  5. joshbob

On the cooler days I have ridden, Hardly any oil at all seeped from the tranny seal. Since my last post, I shortened my drag pipes about 9". Boys, they really bark now! Also removed the speedo I had mounted just off the rear cylinder. It was always off by 5 or 6 MPH, so the speed and milage were bogus anyway. It's liberating not having that speedo drawing my attention away from the road. Left side of the motor looks better now, and the right side looks lean and mean with the shortened pipes.

I took pictures but I'm having a hard time locating them . . .
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ganja and red wine causes that
  7. joshbob

No doubt :hungover:. Yesterday, I discovered where my tranny is really leaking - behind the shifter drum at the gasket, and I remember not using any gasket goop on the gasket thinking it wouldn't leak. So much for thinking. The seal itself seems to be fine.
    The machine screws holding the drum on were a little loose, so I tightened each of them and will go on a ride today to see if that will help.
  8. joshbob

Of course it didn't help - I was grasping for straws. Trying to see if the leak is coming from the plate gasket or the shift drum gasket. Has to be one or the other or both. The adapter plate and pawl carrer are sandwiched between those two gaskets.
  9. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Been off for a bit and just saw the thread, nice work! It is nice to see something done that does not come from a package made in China.
    Fatboy128 likes this.